Introducing a youngster......

TrevBoy

Don't forget to let us know how you get on, Trev. Keep it short and sweet at an easy, small fish venue and you won't go far wrong.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I'm looking forward to a nice arm weekend in May. I shall have my nephew out again.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 4 months later...

well, finally got to take him out - to Hickling basin on the Grantham canal. Loads of silvers, plus I got to fish too, and picked up a cpl of half-decent bream.

the lad had a good time with the 4m whip I got him. hopefully he'll want to go again some time. if not, I'll have the whip off him! £15 well spent I reckon (well, plus his license, his day ticket, his maggots, his chips at he pub, his coke, his snickers bar.......)

Excellent idea to start him with a whip.

That way he will be close to the action and really learn something about fish and fishing.

Buy an eleven-year-old a rod and a fixed spool and he will want to cast as far as he can, and miss out on observation.

With the whip, you can show him how careful loose feeding will bring catchable fish close in.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...