Wild trout thin this year?

kenj

The rivers appear in perfect condition, but nothing is moving in my neck of the woods. Maybe it's another effect of the very mild winter. Hot weather forecast for the weekend might bring a change with a few hawthorn flies on the water.

• 2 weeks later...

At last some trout on the bank. With my so far unproductive syndicate water flooded and coloured, I endured an hour of rush hour traffic to fish another Thames tributary, where the river runs along the roadside, with excellent trout fishing available to those in the know. The nearby Thames was rushing through, but this chalk stream was clear and my first trout of the season fell to a small Goldhead GRHE within minutes of fishing.

vseLV5L.jpg?1

This wild brown trout and the others taken that evening were lean fish, being very plump by mid May in other seasons. Later a Mayfly hatch brought the river to life and managed to bank another two browns. Rags to riches.

This was my blog. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/urban-brown-trout-save-the-day/

• 3 weeks later...

Mayfly made a difference on my local syndicate river this week, although, even with the air being full of mayfiy from a massive hatch, only a few large trout were rising to them. Despite being in locations that were difficult to cast to, I manged to get two on the bank, breaking my duck of eight unsuccessful outings this season. Usually small wild browns are rising all over the river during a hatch, but were absent on what seemed a perfect, warm evening.

icorxnR.jpg?1

This 19 inch brown had heron damage to it's tail, but fought well and was returned when recovered.

This was my blog http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/big-trout-mayfly-bonus/

• 1 month later...

Mayfly made a difference on my local syndicate river this week, although, even with the air being full of mayfiy from a massive hatch, only a few large trout were rising to them. Despite being in locations that were difficult to cast to, I manged to get two on the bank, breaking my duck of eight unsuccessful outings this season. Usually small wild browns are rising all over the river during a hatch, but were absent on what seemed a perfect, warm evening.

icorxnR.jpg?1

This 19 inch brown had heron damage to it's tail, but fought well and was returned when recovered.

This was my blog http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/big-trout-mayfly-bonus/

What a big show my friend, you should be awarded.

I fished two Thames tributaries back to back last week, the first an urban, free fishery, where I lost count of the number of trout hooked in a two hour session between 3 and 5 pm, while fishing a copper wound black buzzer, just below the surface on a greased leader. Many of the trout were sight fished, often seeing the jaws open and shut on the nymph before the strike.

Hkwa9wQ.jpg?1

This was the best wild brown trout of the afternoon measured at 13 inches before being returned. My blog http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/urban-brown-trout-fly-fishing-bonus/

The day after, same time and conditions as a comparison, with the same rig, I fished my once prolific syndicate water. The fact that I was the only angler on the water said it all, the number of wild trout caught this year having collapsed, even stocked fish migrated quickly to the lower reaches and out of the fishery. Although flies were lifting off, no rises were visible and I fished a known hotspot, bouncing a small dace and landing a small chub. Two hours later, having covered half a mile of river, my only other take of the day resulted in my first wild brownie of the season from the river.

emUx4g1.jpg?1

This eleven inch wild fish was returned immediately. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/brown-trout-hard-won/

Crayfish and mink have proved a big problem on the river in recent years, netting and trapping reducing the numbers, while pike are also present, but the loss of the very juvenile trout is puzzling. This is a catch and release water, where the extensive head of wild trout seems to have virtually disappeared. Any ideas from Forum members?

• 9 months later...

The 2017 season opened in contrast to the last. Floods last year have been replaced by a drought this season. On my syndicate river there have been rising fish caught, both stockies and wild browns, which bodes well, providing that the rain, when it comes, does not come all at once.

CVYM3WH.jpg?1

This 17 inch overwintered stockie took a copper wound black buzzer fished just below the surface, drifted into a patch of scum from where it was feeding. A full tail meant plenty of action. My blog : http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/big-trout-spring-surprise/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The mayfly are now hatching on my little river and I'm pleased to say that plenty of wild brown trout are being caught along with stock fish. My most recent outing lasting only an hour between showers, the mayfly continuing to hatch and the trout take them during the heaviest storm.

TN8YxVb.jpg?1

This fat stock fish was one of four that I took during this brief wet session. My blog: http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/trout-between-the-showers-part-2/

• 1 year later...

Floods, drought and diversion of the main river for a new bridge, were all bad news for my syndicate water on the river Whitewater last season, giving some of the worst catch returns ever, but work by bailiffs and members to encourage the remaining wild trout to spawn on freshly raked gravel beds, has resulted in some stretches being full of young wild trout. River deflectors to speed up the flow have been improved and crowsfoot weed has been planted to compliment the natural growth throughout.

kuAFvML.jpg?1

Mayfly were appearing, when I caught this overwintered stockie on Friday afternoon using a white mayfly. I also caught several wild browns up to 8 oz on a deer hair sedge. It was good to see the signs of recovery. Nature at its best. My blog: http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/trout-stream-hots-up-at-last/

• Like 1

How can it be nature if beds were raked deflectors installed and plants introduced? And ofcourse fish stocked?

I just wish the local fluff chuckers stopped throwing these fish in bloody gets in the way of fishing for course fish when thick trout keep taking bread meant for chub

Then the tossers working for the EA electrofish the natural occupants and put the stocked trout back!

PS nice fish foxes will find it if you chuck it in the brambles

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson