Happy or Sad?

Sportsman

Perhaps you could put up some evidence in support of this statement?

I witnessed police attacks and bullying by police with batons and riot shields on protesting men women and children...including mounted police.

Sorry, no photos...it all seemed a bit surreal at the time....

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Then you are in my opinion a sick person. A human being has died and two other human beings have lost their mother.

And another thing; Guillaume le Conquérant is a bit of a hero of mine. We named our son after him :)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

assuming that by armed it was sticks, batons, bricks etc that was meant then I can certainly confirm it happened as I saw it on several occassions, and narrowly avoided being assaulted by some met police ***** one night when simply walking from Rotherham bus station to a friends house. Luckily back then I could run like the wind...

Sticks, batons and riot shields was what I saw...oh, and horses!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

As a Police Officer during the miners strike I saw good and bad on BOTH sides. The vast majority of genuine miners were honest working class men, and very decent, but terrified of derying the union bosses, the trouble makers, those spoiling for a fight were organised agitators brought in from other places and stayed at the back of the crowd but started all the agro. The Met Police in some cases were embarrassing causing more trouble than they were worth. I also witnessed serving M.P.'s acting disgracefully and in one case criminally. There were good and bad on both sides, unfortuneatly(or fortuneatly depending on which way you look at it) the miners were run by a total egomaniac who thought he could bring a Government down. He(thank goodness) was wrong.

Having done picket duty at Glasson Dock Nr Lancaster, coal came into the port from South Africa. It was cheaper to bring that coal into Glasson and distribute it than it was to bring it over from Yorkshire. Is it any wonder the pits closed

I do however think the Moderators need to keep an eye on this thread as Mrs T is such an 'Marmite' subject. I would not want to see words on here getting out of hand

I do notice that similar threads on other sites have been closed down due to lack of respect, as a famous old Sergeant once said "Let's be carefull out there!"

An interesting post. I was in my early/mid 20s at the time, it scared the hell out of me. I will never forget the minibuses full of coppers that passed us going up the M6, some with banners in the windows, saying what they were going to do to the miners!

I remember coming out of a pub in Buxton with a colleague and getting comprehensively...er..."restrained" by a van load of southern coppers...until a sergeant pointed out that we didn't have northern accents!...still got a scar on my shin...

Having done picket duty at Glasson Dock Nr Lancaster, coal came into the port from South Africa. It was cheaper to bring that coal into Glasson and distribute it than it was to bring it over from Yorkshire. Is it any wonder the pits closed

It's amazing how LITTLE people know. In between 1977-1979 I sailed on this vessel, she was named the MV ROS CASTLE then, but same shipping company. We used to run thus.

START

Immingham on the Humber -> Murmansk, USSR

Murmansk, Load Iron Ore

Murmansk->Immingham ->Discharge Iron Ore

Immingham->Gdansk/Gydinya, Poland

Gdansk/Gydinya, Load Coal

Gdansk/Gydinya ->Redcar, Teeside Discharge Coal

Redcar->Murmansk Load Iron Ore

Murmansk->Immingham Discharge Iron Ore

GOTO START

We were virtually "Running coals to Newcastle"

The Charterer was British Steel, at that time a Nationalised Industry.

The Government was Labour, the PM James Callaghan.

What a hellish run that was, shuttling back and forth between some of the worlds greatest shithouse ports. The best port was Mumansk, the booze was cheap and the locals were friendly

1476770.jpg

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Worms didn't say that at all!

Never been to Glasson dock let alone worked there....

Worms didn't say that at all!

Never been to Glasson dock let alone worked there....

Sorry mate, Im not sure how that happened, but I have fixed it now.

And another thing; Guillaume le Conquérant is a bit of a hero of mine. We named our son after him :)

You Royalist :)

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

You Royalist :)

Anybody that gives a Saxon one in the eye is a hero of mine ;)

Vive la Normandie.

• Like 1