R.I.P Maggie T

n4lly

I think that if she had expressed the same meaning by saying "society is nothing without the individual people who make it up" it might have been less amenable to misinterpretation. Or perhaps she would have been forever quoted as saying "society is nothing" :lol:

I think what she was getting at is that whether they are blaming it for something or demanding something of it, people talk about "society" as if it is something which exists independently of the actions and decisions and responsibilities of individual people - and I think that abandonment of personal responsibility is something she had a problem with.

The individuals take on the meaning, is obviously subject to their memories and experiences of the time.

I'm not really a political animal, but those times are etched into my very being by what I saw and felt during her 'reign', and of course it determines how I see things today.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I dare say that if a different politician had said exactly the same words, they would have been remembered differently (or not at all).

If she had said "ask not what your country can do for you...", would it have been remembered in the same way it was when JFK said it, or would it have been interpreted as "don't expect the state to look after you".

She's such an iconic figure that I think it's sometimes hard for people to separate who she was from who she was built up to be - both amongst those who admired her and those who detested her. Certainly, as a working class teenager in the 80's in Northern England she was the bogeyman.

I dare say that if a different politician had said exactly the same words, they would have been remembered differently (or not at all).

If she had said "ask not what your country can do for you...", would it have been remembered in the same way it was when JFK said it, or would it have been interpreted as "don't expect the state to look after you".

She's such an iconic figure that I think it's sometimes hard for people to separate who she was from who she was built up to be - both amongst those who admired her and those who detested her. Certainly, as a working class teenager in the 80's in Northern England she was the bogeyman.

Steve was not liked by people of all ages in the 80ss not just the young ones my father dispised her she was a very strong political figure she did modernize britain to an extent but at great expense to a lot people in my eyes she was no different to scargill who sold the miners down the river i think she was head strong the poll tax proved that she was told it was very bad move but wouldnt listen she had to reverse it with egg on her face.

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

All,

Again, I am at arms length but I wonder why no one mentions things like. "In 1979, the total number of work stoppages across the UK numbered 4,583 (29 million working days lost)." She brought down double digit inflation of the 1970s (which peaked at 18 percent in 1980); by 1984 it was down to 4 percent and has remained low ever since. (US News)

"She was the first and only female leader to be democratically elected in the United Kingdom (UK). She was the UK Prime Minister from 1979-1990 (three consecutive terms); Leader of the Opposition from 1975-1979, and leader of the Conservative Party from 1975-1990." (Atlantic Monthly)

Granted, unemployment shot up to 12 percent (currently the EU average) in Thatcher's first term in office due to her privatization efforts and the closure of empty mines and unsustainable businesses; but it rapidly plummeted to 7 percent by the end of the decade.

Her relationship with President Reagan brought down the USSR.

She certainly was an inspiration for women in business and politics.

Phone

In 1985 dureing s time in goverment i bought my 1st house interst rates were 14% very high and it was the labour goverment who got a grip when they took office after john majors goverment this goverment we have now would love it to be higher but cant because so many people will lose there homes people with lots of money love high interst money makes money.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg