Who's been eating my carp?

robtherake

Why is it that "we" have to understand that "their" culture is different? These people (whoever they are) are simple thieves, no more or less, and if they happen to come from Eastern europe then tough. I think his easiest answer is to do a bit of checking on people leaving, a few caught in the act and reported to the police might deter future thieves. Even a sign saying all anglers leaving will have their vehicles searched would help, and a few spot checks during the evening.

But, maybe he has tried all that, maybe he doesn't live on site,maybe he doesn't want to risk any confrontations, after all, if they are of a different culture, then he may be at serious risk of injury.

Simple answer is to put up a sign banning these type of people......................oh yes...............he has tried that :bangin: every one is so concerned about some guy trying to protect his livelyhood, none of them seem to have similar problems, and yet he is branded racist.

I also wonder what sort of response he would get if he did have reason to call the police for help?

Den

Couldn't have put it better myself.

In my opinion, his fishery, his rules, all this emphasis on education and different cultures, well education (what education, do they run classes on how not to poach?) doesn't work, and as to different cultures, I'm sorry but we shouldn't have to accept their culture, they should have to accept ours. If he has problems with eastern Europeans poaching then why shouldn't he ban them, it's his livelihood, and it's obviously not all EE's, however the other EE's that aren't a part of it should give the ones that are a clip round the ear because they are giving all of them a bad name, but it doesn't happen, so a blanket ban is the only solution to stop this man losing his livelihood.

• Like 1

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

No place for racism in fishing full stop.

No place for racism at a commercial fishery- bad economic sense. Never turn away customers. Even though they are taking his stock, and costing him money? That's like saying never turn away customers from a shop even if they are shoplifting.

Trout fishing has no trouble with customers using the fishery as a fun take away. But it's catch and release, and just because it works for trout fishing doesn't mean it's right, it's still stealing.

So simples..

Price for fishing there should reflect the restocking costs. Putting prices up because a minority is stealing stock, possibly turning away custom and affecting the mans livelihood?

Then supermarkets will under cut the fishery price and the hungry will leave the fishery.

After hours fishing should reflect the cost of overtime for fishery staff to collect the fees.

There we are, a solution that Thatcher would be proud of, simple supply and demand.

A bit tricky to get the otters and cormorants to get the hang of this though, I think that the supermarkets have problems on the hygiene front with wild animals etc etc They would need to dip their feet I suppose.

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Guest 1lastcast

The sign said No Eastern Europeans, and therefore it was discriminitive, and the Police told him to take it down. Tjhe owner I am afraid did on the surface seemed to be, how can I say not the EE's biggest fan, but that's not surprising seeing he blamed the EE's for all his loss of stock, apparently this is the only still water fishery that does not blame the Otter.

If it was the EE's that took his fish he could have taken measures to stop that, by instigating a simple search rule and 'eyes on' approach I am sure.

But he has gone out on a limb in a non too subtle manner, and so yes the sign had to go.

Anyway it's only a carp puddle, who cares? :cry:

Guest 1lastcast

wotnob,

Yikes!! You're right WTF

Phone

No he is not right, although I agree with some of his sentiments you just cannot do this in this country, (I am sure you remember Alabama etc, and see what trouble that caused), it's a civil rights issue too, so that might be a new concept for you to grasp but we have embraced that for some years over here. x

Nick,

- I would "guess" the issue is about race. It's not the point that the guy is an uneducated jerk. He could be found 'stupid' IMO but not 'racists'.

Hi Phone, the wording of the sign is defined as racist...There is absolutely zero doubt about it...Not my opinion, but clearly pointed out in the links and quotes supplied.

It is not just a British thing either. We have the same definitions here...The guy would be prosecuted here too.

Wont the shite hit the fan when the roumanians flood over ,then he can get really naughty ,if fcourse he isnt in nick for protecting his stock from their neighbours

I expect a fair few of them fish its a hard life pick pocketing and thieving so they probably need some time off

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1last,

Yes, Wotnob is right - I biytched about British abbreviations then used internet abbreviations myself. As to the subject, we, the Americans, may have invented modern day racism. I'd credit the UK for a system of peerage - - - but we've a lock on racial hate crime (somewhere around 10,000 a year).

All,

I don't deny the sign is wrong. To commit the crime it should be proved he "intended" to commit a criminal act. I may have missed the part where the police told him to take it down (the sign) and he refused. "Can't we just all get along" is a two way street.

I'm suggesting the fishery owner is guilty of a "stereotype", a generalization about a person or group of persons when unchecked become prejudice - etc.

Phone

Ah, in this case the issue isn't the language or that the sign might cause offence, or even the proprietor's opinions about who is taking his fish - legally, the problem is the policy of denying access on the basis of national origin, the sign just makes it explicit that he's breaking the law.

So its better to just say no europeans ,there is no nation its a collection of them ,no foreigners is even less national

How on earth has it become the normyou must let onto your land people you dont wish to come on your land ,what next coach loads of americans traipsing through your garden because the law says you cant stop them because they may get uppity or not being able to stop a frenchman killing your kids because to stop them is racist?

If the sign says no anything then its his choice bugger the law its an ass

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson