Who's been eating my carp?

robtherake

Its strange Romanians are banned from coming here until next year by the government yet a business man cannot do the exact same thing ,how is one racist not mentioning a country but an area but the other is fine singling out a country?

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Interesting point - immigration policy is racist within the terms of UK discrimination law. I am pretty sure someone will have investigated the possibility of trying that on in court, though.

Chesters1,

May I say, sometimes you are like a diamond in a goats arce.

My point exactly, intent is everything.

I'm having difficulty with the guys sign as though it said, "no shoplifting".

Phone

This is the equivalent of a "no shoplifting" sign;

sign8_1465374i.jpg

This is perfectly legal - even the implication of the translations that the message is aimed at particular national groups is perfectly legal.

• Like 1

Still denying access based on where they come from.

Nope, he's denying access based on the fact that they steal his fish and he's identified the offending group as EE anglers. I'm sure the fishery rules already state that fish can't be taken so there's no point in putting up a sign re-iterating that. As for other policing methods well that's fine in theory but what's the first reaction of a thief when they're caught in the act, do they apologise and feel ashamed...err not usually. It could be argued that he's being pro-active in avoiding confrontation.

If it'd been any other group then the sign would be different e.g. "No Wantagonians" and I wouldn't have a problem with that if the local WI had taken to breakfasting on freebie carp during their coffee mornings.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

what is so difficult to understand.

If you make a blanket policy of for example "No Eastern Europeans" you ARE being racist.

A blanket policy of "No fish thieves" is fine, there is a reasonable cause.

Just because some EE might take fish does not mean that all EE do take fish. To make a policy based on the region from where they come is racist, to make a policy regarding actions of individuals is not.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

what is so difficult to understand.

If you make a blanket policy of for example "No Eastern Europeans" you ARE being racist.

A blanket policy of "No fish thieves" is fine, there is a reasonable cause.

Just because some EE might take fish does not mean that all EE do take fish. To make a policy based on the region from where they come is racist, to make a policy regarding actions of individuals is not.

There is no such race as eastern europeans why is that so difficult to understand ,i feel sorry for him ifhe catches them red handed and hands them over to the police they usually disappear and never turn up at court as do a vast number of "eastern european" pickpockets in london Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There is no such race as eastern europeans why is that so difficult to understand

It does not have to be race:

The RRA defines ‘racial grounds’ as being on the grounds of colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origins. Most people think of race discrimination as being less favourable treatment on the grounds of colour or race. However, discrimination on the grounds of nationality, ethnic or national origins is equally unlawful

In the circumstances under discussion Eastern European is clearly a reference to nationality (albeit a group of nationalities), and therefore it is 'racial grounds'.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Nope, he's denying access based on the fact that they steal his fish and he's identified the offending group as EE anglers.

What, all of them? All Eastern Europeans are thieves?

That's the problem, even if all fish thieves are Eastern Europeans, it's illegal to treat all Eastern Europeans as if they are fish thieves.

Years ago, I remember the NRA guys being very unimpressed when they netted our club pond for us and found chub in it. I also remember another club lake having a number of dead barbel in the margins immediately after a club match on the Trent. Fish thieving isn't a new thing!

• Like 1