Scottish Carp

Elton

Posted on behalf of Paul. Please add all replies to this thread:

hi all fellow Scottish carpers i am new to the west lothian area. i would like sum info on where to fish in my local area ,also do i need a rod licence. my best carp capture to date is a 34lb 6oz leather(known as Tyson) a named fish. from sandhurst in hampshire. plus a 30lb mirror from st john's lake oxfordshire and a 27lb common from sandhurst so please can someone give me sum info plz.........

many thanks........ craftycarper(paul)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

you need to get in contact with the scottish carp group, who have several waters. Google it and its easy to find.

Hi Kreid

Thanks for posting the info

Paul.

There is also the Scottish Carper forum where you will find any info you need with plenty of help & advice for anything to do with carp fishing in Scotland.

Cheers

Saul

• 2 weeks later...
I once fished for wild carp in a place called Danskine Loch in the Borders region many years ago. Not sure if they're still there but it sure was a beautiful place to fish and the carp were true battlers for their size. :D

Hi Jacksprat

Danskine is still there tucked away in a wooded valley in East Lothian and probably still looks the same.

It's one of the Scottish Carp Group waters.

Do you have any photos of wildies caught from the loch ?

Cheers

Saul

Hi Jacksprat

Danskine is still there tucked away in a wooded valley in East Lothian and probably still looks the same.

It's one of the Scottish Carp Group waters.

Do you have any photos of wildies caught from the loch ?

Cheers

Saul

Didn't the Scottish Carp Group put lots of stockies in Danskine that went belly up and died? Just curious as to wheather the original wildies remain now or died off at the same time.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Didn't the Scottish Carp Group put lots of stockies in Danskine that went belly up and died? Just curious as to wheather the original wildies remain now or died off at the same time.

Most if not all the wildies from years ago were lost in a fish kill well over 10 years ago, the water was then used as a trout

fishery for a while which did not do well and then the SCG took it over.

We tried to get it back to a wildie fishery, as we were lucky enough to get hold of some wildies for re-stocking, they did

very well through the first summer but a severe winter which saw the water frozen over for long periods spelled disaster with

most of the new stock perishing :( it was heart breaking to see, I had the Fisheries Research Service on site doing all sorts of

tests and taking all sorts of samples from nearly dead fish! Sepa had full analytical reports done on the water quality and all the tests

from fish and water came up clean and we can't say for sure it was an oxygen problem due to the ice as it had melted by the time readings were taken.

In the end we stocked with modern strain of carp, they went in at an average size of around 5lb and now there are fish not far off the 20 mark which is encouraging, these fish are a mix of stunning fully scaled, linears and big plated mirrors plus a hand full of commons that are doing very well.

Cheers

Saul

Most if not all the wildies from years ago were lost in a fish kill well over 10 years ago, the water was then used as a trout

fishery for a while which did not do well and then the SCG took it over.

We tried to get it back to a wildie fishery, as we were lucky enough to get hold of some wildies for re-stocking, they did

very well through the first summer but a severe winter which saw the water frozen over for long periods spelled disaster with

most of the new stock perishing :( it was heart breaking to see, I had the Fisheries Research Service on site doing all sorts of

tests and taking all sorts of samples from nearly dead fish! Sepa had full analytical reports done on the water quality and all the tests

from fish and water came up clean and we can't say for sure it was an oxygen problem due to the ice as it had melted by the time readings were taken.

In the end we stocked with modern strain of carp, they went in at an average size of around 5lb and now there are fish not far off the 20 mark which is encouraging, these fish are a mix of stunning fully scaled, linears and big plated mirrors plus a hand full of commons that are doing very well.

Cheers

Saul

Good news that the fishery is doing well :thumbs: , just sad that the wildies are no longer there. They must be rare creatures these days.

Paul.

Good news that the fishery is doing well :thumbs: , just sad that the wildies are no longer there. They must be rare creatures these days.

Paul.

there may be some in west Binny remnants from the 1970s

it is also a Scottish carp group water .

there is a meeting in the black bull at mid calder on the 20Th august 8 pm

drop in and see what's happening mate ,

i just joined a few weeks ago ,

so i will be going down to get the lowdown on things such as who/where /what and when..

cheers

Pete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

there may be some in west Binny remnants from the 1970s

it is also a Scottish carp group water .

there is a meeting in the black bull at mid calder on the 20Th august 8 pm

drop in and see what's happening mate ,

i just joined a few weeks ago ,

so i will be going down to get the lowdown on things such as who/where /what and when..

cheers

Pete

I was a member of the carp group for a season, but only ended up fishing their waters once due to joining another water shortly after. That was a few years ago now, and the other water that i've been fishing for 4 years has been shut down by Scottish Coal unfortunately :(

I may end up joining again soon, once i've made up my mind what fishing i'm going to do this year. :)

Paul.