Letter From The ACA Chairman

Alan Roe

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read through the threads and, unfortunately, I think some people have got the wrong idea. What we are talking about here is a man who has been put in charge of an organisation which, as shown here on AN, is in dire straights and none too popular!

This man has taken over from a 'coup' and some people are not happy about it, as you can see from the resignations. Chris Tarrant, as President resigning, is like The Black Horse saying it no longer wants to be associated with Lloyds-TSB.

What this really needed to make people happy was an open vote to every single member of the ACA.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

And so this letter from Chris Tarrant, and resignations from others, leaves us back where we were a few weeks ago.

What this needs is a completely independant investigation to find out EXACTLY what went on, who is or isn't to blame, and leave the ACA with a management team that is clean, trustworthy and above all accountable for it's actions.

The ACA is fighting for it's members - people who willingly part with the money in the trust that it is doing good for angling, not just lining pockets of others. I wouldn't expect to hand over £20 to a charity like Cancer Research or Oxfam to see if mishandled, so why should the ACA be any different?

You go believe the chairman if you like. His letter sounds plausible. But then again, so does the letter from Chris Tarrant. I just don't get it. We are back to square one.

Who's right, who's wrong. Is the ACA now being run by trustworthy staff who care only for angling? Perhaps... or perhaps not. We have no solid proof. So perhaps I won't rejoin after all.

It's a farce if you ask me... you can tell me who you believe but unless you have 100% proof you'll never be really sure will you.

agreed Glenn - I've not recieved any of these letters, apart from the one advising of the suspensions...

all a bit dodgy this...

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Spindle:

And so this letter from Chris Tarrant, and resignations from others, leaves us back where we were a few weeks ago.

What this needs is a completely independant investigation to find out EXACTLY what went on, who is or isn't to blame, and leave the ACA with a management team that is clean, trustworthy and above all accountable for it's actions.

The ACA is fighting for it's members - people who willingly part with the money in the trust that it is doing good for angling, not just lining pockets of others.  I wouldn't expect to hand over £20 to a charity like Cancer Research or Oxfam to see if mishandled, so why should the ACA be any different?

You go believe the chairman if you like.  His letter sounds plausible.  But then again, so does the letter from Chris Tarrant.  I just don't get it.  We are back to square one.

Who's right, who's wrong.  Is the ACA now being run by trustworthy staff who care only for angling?  Perhaps... or perhaps not.  We have no solid proof.  So perhaps I won't rejoin after all.

It's a farce if you ask me... you can tell me who you believe but unless you have 100% proof you'll never be really sure will you.

I could not agree with you more!

Probably the best point I have seen made in these discussions here on AN.

Vidar

In the final analysis does it really matter who's to blame?

Other similar non-angling organisations have had their ups and downs as well. Before long most of those not directly affected had forgotten what the issues were about.

Sure, some changes at the ACA seem to be needed. The present problems will hopefully bring about these changes - in which case something positive will have come out of the whole sorry episode.

However, the sooner this situation is over the better. The ACA can then get back solely to what it does best - fighting pollution.

For this reason alone I shall be continuing to support the ACA.

[ 15. December 2004, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve

Steve Burke:

In the final analysis does it really matter who's to blame?

Yes... if the people to blame are still in charge!

I want to be sure that my £17 membership is being used to it's full potential to fight pollution, and not just a bit of it, with the rest going into in-house-politics, wallet-filling,

...and worse than anything else.... "crimes involving hoovers!"

Hand on heart I think I will rejoin the ACA come the new year. I'm a trusting soul, and I hope that my money goes to help good people do good work for the benefit of fish, waterfowl, the countryside and EVERYBODY (including us anglers).

But if this all turns on it's head again in a few months or years time, I for one will be very very disappointed.

[ 15. December 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Spindle ]

paul.s:

thanks Peter tried that snd Keeps coming up page can not be displayed. may have shut it down in the light of things at the moment will try in a week or two

thank you

No probs logging on today, non yesterday Paul. I hit the link and its there!!

Some of you will have noticed that my posting on this thread was my first in a long, long time.

The reason, in general terms, is that I grew weary and cross with the repetative crap churned out by those who should know better or those polishing their ego's that they know better when they don't really have a clue, choose not to remember earlier information and don't take on board the reality of where angling is today. I agree the ACA situation is a mess and should have been handled better.

Nuff said. What we need to agree is that the ACA is a force for the good - end of story. It must survive and prosper for angling and fishery's benefit. The new ACA leader has laid down his plan for the future. Whether he delivers or not remains to be seen. I believe we must give him our support and every chance of success - we need it.

If those self-appointed angling gurus who expended so much time and effort pontificating on the ACA/Tarrant issue had directed their energy on financing and supporting those of us, and our organisations, that really do work for the unification and promotion of our sport we'd be a lot further down the line to achieving a sustainable future for us all.

The difference, I would suggest, is scratching your bum or tearing it to pieces. If you get my drift.

Don't knock the ACA (new), NAA, Moran, SAA, et al, unless you sign up and commit, and seek to support and change from within. No pay, No say!

So you armchair angling politicians what's gonna be?

A new begining and a potential bright future or, the slow demise of the ACA because of paranoia and unpolished ego's?

I'm puzzled!

We all agree that the ACA is the best thing since sliced bread but continue to carp and criticise and play stupid word games.

Finally, I'm very sad that Chris Tarrant has decided to leave. If I could think of a good reason for him to stay, I would use it tomorrow.

There you have it, the pontifications of Chairman Birdie!

I will say no more on the matter.