Letter From The ACA Chairman

Alan Roe

For information, my letter to Dr Marsh Smith.

Stephen

I feel I must resign as a Council Member of the ACA.

I agreed to serve on the committee as I wanted to be able to support the work of the Association and make a popsitive contribution. However with the current upheavals within the organization it has become obvious to me that this committee has only a supernumerary role. I have only learnt of what is happening by reading things in the press or on websites or by conversations with friends who are either involved or are committee members who are not allowed to discuss it.

On a personal note I find it sad that the close friendship that you have had with Bob over the past years has ended as it has.

I will be staying as a member of the ACA as an individual as the work that it does is vital.

Regards

Peter Smith

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PeterK:

Stephen Marsh Smith wrote 'I intend to instil a culture of transparency ' but this hasn't been made very public yet - I wonder why?

Dear Stephen

It is with real sadness that I'm afraid I have to resign from my positio etc etc etc etc

CHRIS TARRANT OBE

Perhaps it hadn't been made public in the hope that Chris would change his mind.

Even being a President probably doesn't allow the confidentiality clause to be broken, conceivably Chris has only heard one side of the story.

The new Chairman is a brave man, and probably strong enough to carry it off. More glass will be broken, sadly.

I hate to see folk condemned before all facts are out and sometimes they ARE condemned for such trivial matters. :(

I was once accused of something I had no part of or was even aware of, I lost a few grand through it all. :( (when there was doubt, I ate it up and spat it out, the record shows, I took the blows and survived it myyyyyyy wayyyy!!! :) )

OK... I may be a bit naive here....I don't play politics, especuially not the angling variety.

The raison d'etre of the ACA is to prosecute polluters, so why are they involved with things like pike fishing matches and officers commenting about livebaiting?

Is this within their mission statement (revolting expression) or their published remit?

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

OK... I may be a bit naive here....I don't play politics, especially not the angling variety.

The raison d'etre of the ACA is to prosecute polluters, so why are they involved with things like pike fishing matches and officers commenting about livebaiting?

Is this within their mission statement (revolting expression) or their published remit?

[ 14. December 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Alan Stubbs ]

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Dear Alan,

You asked;

"The raison d'etre of the ACA is to prosecute polluters, so why are they involved with things like pike fishing matches and officers commenting about livebaiting?

Is this within their mission statement (revolting expression) or their published remit?"

As far as I'm concerned, certain ACA officers should have kept their personal opinions to themselves. You simply can't take on a role, either paid or not, representing the interests of any organisation AND their members, then start to spout off personal opinions which undoubtedly fly in the face of certain numbers of the membership you are there "supposed" to be representing!! This type of example alone serves to represent perfectly what can happen when full democracy flies out the window.

Pike fishing is more than capable of looking after its own interests via the PAC etc, either working alone or under the umbrella of the SAA. What pike angling, or any other branch of angling come to that, doesn't need, are loose cannons jumping on the "ban cultures" wagon merely to serve their own personal agendas or prejudices.

Again in my personal opinion, the ACA should stick to the job in hand that their members expect them to perform.

Peter Waller said;

“The new Chairman is a brave man, and probably strong enough to carry it off. More glass will be broken, sadly."

I agree 100% on the brave aspect Peter. Is he strong enough? Time will tell. One thing is now definitely certain though, with the resignation of Chris Tarrant and the shock waves this will bring, the new chairman might be trying to reach a bridge too far??

As for more broken glass Peter? I think there is going to be a lot of shattered glass around and lots of different noises coming from that broken glass as people walk around upon it in the coming weeks.

I have a lot of rumbling disquiet about this whole episode Peter. Not in the general handling of the episode, this was in my opinion quite poor, but in aspects that still don’t sit well.

Now forgive my normal cynicism Peter, but do you have rumblings that the James's might possibly have been sacrificial lambs for something else? And if so, who led the lambs to the slaughter? And for what ultimate purpose??

Chris Tarrant, aside from being one of the most well known TV personalities the UK has, is no ones fool. I seriously doubt that Chris would resign just because his mates the James's got any sort of a raw deal from the ACA. I would have expected Chris to have stayed in place to help clear up matters in a positive way for all concerned and stay to help drive any new ACA initiative now clearly needed?? Here also, something doesn't sit quite right.

Regards,

Lee.

No Lee, I don't consider that the James were sacrificial lambs.

I do know that one legal type left in less than happy circumstances. I was, no, enough said on that matter.

I was never entirely happy with the James, I think I've said that before. I have always felt that Bob had found himself a very comfortable niche that suited his way of life.

There is a very reasonable piece in Anglers Mail this week, worth reading. In it Bob tells us how much he was paid for a three day week. Those two did very nicely out of the ACA.

Bob was the ACA PR man, ummm. Jardine is the 'anglers' voice for the CA. Don't need to guess which one is better at the job! Bob might be a 'personality' but I personally think he was hardly dynamic and 'could have done a lot better'. Dreaded phrase that last bit, always the basic guist of my school reports.

Jane, yes, I am in two minds but I think that I do regret her going. Saying that I'm not privvy to the facts. But Bob, no, the ACA is better off without him, in my honest opinion.

[ 14. December 2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

mark barrett:

yes smudger, precisely because of the livebaiting stance.

whilst i am sure that it was his own personal viewpoint, as the press officer for the ACA he should have been aware that it would have been construed as representative of the organisation for which he held office.

that to a point shows a naievity that is a bit difficult to align with his position of ACA press officer.

as you said it was his personal veiw and i

believe it said it was.it was those narrow minded people that took otherwise..and yes i am a pike

angler

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

'trent. barbeler', above:

"I agree 100% on the brave aspect Peter. Is he strong enough? Time will tell. One thing is now definitely certain though, with the resignation of Chris Tarrant and the shock waves this will bring, the new chairman might be trying to reach a bridge too far??"

Strong enough?

Of course the new Chairman, Marsh-Smith, is -- he's a man who has ably fronted an organization that is trying put the Wye (and, now, the Usk) back to where it once was: one of southern Britain's finest rivers (and not merely rather heavy on the old barbel and chub, as it has been of late: I had a salmon of 19 pounds from the river as a kid, and once netted a 38-pounder for a local Hereford expert -- and this not THAT many years ago...).

Celebs?

We (Anglers, Britain -- heck, let's make it the world -- Hi, Whitney, Britney, Kylie, that plastic Baywatch Babe (name temporarily escapes me), Paris etc ... yawn) have been there and done them (or tuther way round, maybe...?) in the past decade or so, I reckon. Time for the Non-Glory-Boy do-ers and sticker-ers now, perhaps. Boring they might be, but they do tend to: a) get results, and B) get (and keep) real, LASTING respect.

[ 14. December 2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Would anyone like to comment on the costs involved in the movements of the ACA Head Office location over the past few years?

Is this information available on the balance sheets please?

Graham

ADDED. My Post on This SITE in April 04......I Guess I thought some things might pass........

"I thought about joining the ACA (although Associate through clubs I am a member of)

And then I thought.................Well, when I see the Annual Financial Accounts, I might do.

Has anyone seen these over the past few years,have any been published? if so, how much did the House (HQ?) moves cost the Charity."

Graham

[ 14. December 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Graham Elliott ]