Letter From The ACA Chairman

Alan Roe

Couldn't agree more, Paul. I don't care if none of the Committee have ever been on television, if they're all good at doing their job. I guess it's why most Boards of successful PLCs contain no-one you've ever heard of. They tend not to confuse celebrity with ability.

Fwiw I've written to Stephen offering my support, having - as you know, Paul - avoided the Organisation since mysteriously finding myself no longer a member of the Council in 1996. I'll spare you the purple prose. Suffice it to say my letter doesn't read like Peter Smith's.

I think we should all now put aside whatever Schadenfreude we might feel, and get stuck in in support of the ACA. Which, incidentally, I thought began to lose its way when "cooperative" became "conservation".

Nigel

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Anglers Net, Paul and Nigel. Now you've registered, hopefully you'll both stay and post on other topics.....

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Maybe the ACA can now revert to Anglers Co-operative Association. And PLEASE dear ACA, will you PLEASE go back to the jumping fish emblem that was so pointlessly abandoned a few years ago. The instantly recognisable black and chrome badge was many a young anglers pride and joy. Not only did it represent the ACA, it showed that the wearer was an 'angler'.

Shadenfreude was not a word that I was, as an inbred Broadlander & Norwich City supporter, previously aware of. Checked it out, 'malicious satisfaction at the misfortunes of others'.

Whilst I do believe that there have been some malicious postings from some critics of the newly emerging ACA, by and large little evidence of 'shadenfreude' at the passing of the James.

[ 14. December 2004, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

can anyone help.i've been trying to log on to the a.c.a web site but nothing comes up. the address i've got is a-c-a.org is this correct. i would like to find out how much it is to join and send it off to

Regards

Paul.s

----------------------------------

Live for today as there might not be a tommorrow!!!

jp-tackle.co.uk

Peter Waller:

Maybe the ACA can now revert to Anglers Co-operative Association.

Like I suspect Peter, I hope there's more co-operation within the ACA than possibly there's been recently. However, I much prefer the word "conservation". Indeed, I suggested it to Allen Edwards many years ago, and I doubt that I was the only one.

It's a much better word as far as PR is concerned, especially to the non-angling public who might otherwise think that the ACA benefits just anglers, rather than working for the conservation of our waterways to the benefit of all.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Think that you are right Steve. But there was an earlier suggestion that at about the time of the change the ACA lost its direction. That being the case it might be a symbolic gesture to return to 'co-operation'.

Personally I rather liked the even earlier name of the 'Pure Rivers Society', because that didn't just link the name to anglers as ACA does. Potentially yotties and canoists, as river users, could have been involved.

paul.s:

can anyone help.i've been trying to log on to the a.c.a web site but nothing comes up. the address i've got is a-c-a.org is this correct. i would like to find out how much it is to join and send it off to

www.a-c-a.org

Follow the link to 'Join Us', £17 and you can download an application form.

[ 14. December 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Peter Waller:

Personally I rather liked the even earlier name of the 'Pure Rivers Society', because that didn't just link the name to anglers as ACA does. Potentially yotties and canoists, as river users, could have been involved.

I couldn't agree more and always felt that the previous name could appeal to a wider audience,

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/