Lake turnover a few questions

RUDD

Just been speaking to a water chemist and commenting that in my experience very rapid increases in water temperature aren't as good for fishing as we'd expect. Some of you will recall I've posted about this before.

He told me that it's not the rise in temperature itself that causes the problem, rather the resultant changes in water chemistry. Very interesting!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

At a guess - surface of sediment is covered by a slimy film of algae, bacteria and dead organic matter. Water begins to warm. Sediment begins to warm. Bacterial metabolism in the anerobic sediment starts to begin again and starts to generate gases. Gases accumulate under the slime film and begin to push it up in bubbles like so many slimy little hot air balloons. Eventually, the bottom of the bubble tears away, and up pops your lump of slime.

That sounds about right to me but described a bit better than I could. I see it on the very slow parts of my local river, not quite yet but it'll happen soon i'm sure.

You just have to use your eyes and look at the stuff as it rises. It is scum/detritus/dead weed and algae whtch has accumulated on the bottom over the winter. Gas builds up under it and as the water warms up the gas pressure rises and lifts the stuff off the bottom.

Been happening on every still water (and a lot of rivers) all my life, and it sometimes forms great rafts and they drift into a bay.........carp will investigate it :)

Trout will follow it up and grab mouthfulls of it to sift out any insects or whatever..pal of mine tied a fly he called "Green gilbert" and we fished it by allowing it to sink to the bottom and then a continuous lift up to the boat................deadly on Grafham :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Phone, seems plain English from here mate.

Others, any evidence of rising water temps? Did you measure it?

I have no doubt that the temp probably did rise a bit, but some facts would help.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Phone, seems plain English from here mate.

Others, any evidence of rising water temps? Did you measure it?

I have no doubt that the temp probably did rise a bit, but some facts would help.

Den

Hi mate in post 2 on this thread I stated how I had measured temp at 6c the sunday before last at first light and this sunday same swim same spot at first light it was 11.1.

John

I will add this was in the margins about 2ft deep with a digital thermometer measuring probe at end of long wire. Its a scientific device not an ebay special. It was done at first light so that sun had not had an affect on margins and we had a very strong southerly gale hitting that bank all weekend and last week.

I would imagine that would have stirred the water up considerably and evened the temp out over most of the lake. It is a 20 acre gravel pit with lots of islands and bars.

I think the wind has been one of the biggest factors in the rapid heat increase along with high night time temps aswell.

John

Saw that John, but my reply was aimed at the others :) I almost didn't post, as you had already said everything needed, but it seemed to be being ignored.

I get a bit uptight when people speculate about water temps, very rarely do they actually take any readings, let alone a couple over a period to compare.

And your comments re the wind exactly fits what I have found (and been saying :) ) for about 30 years :bangin:

Den

Edited by poledark

Saw that John, but my reply was aimed at the others :) I almost didn't post, as you had already said everything needed, but it seemed to be being ignored.

Den I always get ignored here it must be because I am a grumpy old git or just talk a load of rubbish :bangin:

John