Lake turnover a few questions

RUDD

RUDD,

I'm not sure what "silverfish" are. BUT - you may be able to make lemonaid out of lemons. There are small species of food fish that contain an enzyme called thiaminase that destroys thiamin, or vitamin B1. For predators that consume to many of these fish it can be fatal. In America Gizzard Shad contain thiaminase. Thiamin is essential for good health.

The yeast extract spread Marmite common in British cultures is a good source of thiamin - real good. Mix with sesame hummus and whatever else you wish - even fishmeal. Ground baits with sunflower seeds would also be helpful.

Won't help the lake balance but it will sure be effective as bait and improve fish health. Maybe get the fish back to a natural balance of predator prey.

Phone

At a guess - surface of sediment is covered by a slimy film of algae, bacteria and dead organic matter. Water begins to warm. Sediment begins to warm. Bacterial metabolism in the anerobic sediment starts to begin again and starts to generate gases. Gases accumulate under the slime film and begin to push it up in bubbles like so many slimy little hot air balloons. Eventually, the bottom of the bubble tears away, and up pops your lump of slime.

I like that idea.

I was thinking perhaps all the decaying leaf matter from Autumn/Winter last year starting to change with the warmer water. The gunk in my area was quite leafy sized.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk