Feed to compliment tiger nuts?

chrislee342

leeda,

Somewhere along the line you were misinformed. Maybe during the "killer peanut" era of the 70's.

TIGER NUTS (CHUFFA) is SEDGE, a member of the grass families that produce many of our cereal grains.

I do not know of a form or treatment for tiger nuts that would be harmful to any fish, carp included.

A story (groan) - there were a couple places where tiger nuts could not be touched - by far the best bait.  We have any number of small rivers on flat land that meander through a watershed. During high water or flooding water will erode undercutting the bank. The growing sedge grass with the nodules, tiger nuts,  attached swing down in the water and become like fishing under a ripe fruit tree. For several days these swims will be quite productive.

That's the only time tiger nuts were a 'go to" bait for me

Phone

10 hours ago, leedafeeder said:

I thought all forms of tiger nuts were very bad for carp from a nutritional point of view?

I realise this thread is ancient?

We had a few guys who were regularly using Tiger Nuts on our estate lake a few years ago and when we took our boat out around one of our islands we found literally thousands of tiger nuts all lying around the island just lying there and rotting away. So we had to ban them.

Using them sensibly and carefully on a much larger lake could be fine but beware of using them heavily.

They are not very good nutritionally anyway.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

BOLD BEAR,

FOR tiger to be effective IMO the sedge grass must occur naturally.

LORDY lordy - my only UK bait banning experience was canned luncheon meat after the removal of about a meter of it from the bottom. Iwas paid by the EA. - Foreign experts were impressive in the early 1970's

It's easy to have to much of a good thing, especially in the relative close  fishing quarters found in the UK

Phone 

• 3 weeks later...

Tiger Nuts & Nuts in general are now Widely Banned on Commercials.

You need to read Individual Fishery Rules.

• Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

IN an old article on my bait thumb drive I found the following. FWIW cut and paste.

The boiled nuts are utilized in the UK like a bait for carp. The nuts have to be prepared in the prescribed manner to avoid harm to the fish. The nuts are soaked in water for 24 hours after which boiled for 20 minutes or longer till completely expanded. Several anglers then leave the boiled nuts to ferment for 24-48 hours, which could boost their effectiveness. In case the nuts usually are not effectively prepared, however, they may be extremely toxic to the carp. It was originally considered to have been the main cause of death of Benson, an extremely large and incredibly famous carp. The 54-lb. fish was discovered floating dead in the fishing lake, with a bag of unprepared tiger nuts lying close by, empty, on the shore. An examination of the fish by the taxidermist determined tiger nut poisoning was not, in the end, the main cause of death.

PHONE

If you need to get rid of your supply of Tiger Nuts I understand they are a cure for something in Chinese medicine!

Only if you have the Tiger penis as well though so you might have to find someone with an abundance of Willies and a shortage of the nuts.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Only if you don’t have a dog or cat called Tiger!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

8 minutes ago, Huge_Vitae said:

Only if you don’t have a dog or cat called Tiger!?

After all these years, she was just Moaning about the Wallpaper then!!

• Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!