disappearing logins

wotnobivvy

There are a number of sites, eg Nectar, Ebay Amazon and AN where once you have logged in the userid is remembered so that one only has to insert the password (AN remembers this as well). This is maintained across power off/on times. Since I upgraded to IE10 I seem to get random disappearance of this in that I am presented with a login screen that is blank. As I use the computer almost every day this is annoying and I can't find any pattern to it. The computer has only one user (me) set up. It is running Windows 7 with all updates applied regularly

Any ideas

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

first step is to check your auto complete history and start again; it can become corrupted.

click COG in top right hand corner of IE

INTERNET OPTIONS>CONTENT

then click AUTO COMPLETE

in there you have a few options but to start with just check you have everything you want ticked set correctly.

depending on the website it might be a "form" instead of a username and password in a form...so tick both to be sure

next choose

DELETE AUTO COMPLETE HISTORY

the upgrade from ie9 to 10 can cause it to become corrupted...yeah its annoying to have to rebuild it but it usually does resolve the issue

if you forget website passwords etc you can also check them under the MANAGE PASSWORDS options

• Like 1

Thanks for that I will put them all back in as I go and monitor it

• 2 weeks later...

It didn't work. AN, Ebay, Nectar all came up logged off with blank userids despite me ticking the box to keep me logged on

Could also be that you're logging in through ssl/https and the forms on the website disallow auto-completion, meaning that you have to manually put in your username/password.

It only started happening after I upgraded to IE10. It doesn't happen on my laptop running XP/SP3

I have Googled IE10 and found many complaints about this. Microsoft have now produced a TV advert proclaiming the benefits of it. It seems to delete cookies and logons at regular random intervals and I cannot see any way of stopping it. I am not going to edit the registry as I am not full of confidence in that area. Most people seem to revert to IE9. Apparently there are a number of sites that have to run in compatibility mode to work. It seems to follow Microsoft's maxim of it ain't broke fix it so it is broke. I hope they never get to program car computers !!!

Edited by wotnobivvy

You might want to try Firefox or Chrome or both. I don't think either of them has that issue.

Using a new browser is almost painful for a few days until you get used to it but it can be very worth while.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You might want to try Firefox ........................

Using a new browser is almost painful for a few days until you get used to it but it can be very worth while.

I switched to Firefox years ago, it was completely painless, a huge improvement instantly - the only caveat, don't go for updates (to Firefox) as soon as they are offered - 90% of any add-ons will stop working.

Updates & add-ons - one of the reasons I switched from FF to Chrome. Another reason was that it seems to be getting as over-size and awkward as IE.

I miss some of the FF goodies but I'm happy to have a more agile and less fragile browser.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President