Car Tyres Online

Elton

Has anyone ever bought tyres over the 'net?

I'm looking for a decent dealer for a set of 215/40 Z R17's. I've telephoned everywhere local and they have to be ordered in, so I may as well shop around.

Cheers for any help,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton:

Has anyone ever bought tyres over the 'net?

I'm looking for a decent dealer for a set of 215/40 Z R17's. I've telephoned everywhere local and they have to be ordered in, so I may as well shop around.

Cheers for any help,

Elton

Elton,

I used to be in the tyre trade, so I understand why they have to be ordered in!

Ther are so many variations in sizes, makes, profiles, speed ratings etc etc it would be almost impossible for most dealers to keep anything like a complete range of anything in stock!

Give Kingsway Tyres at Cambridge 01223 352002 a call and get a price from them. I sold out to them about 3 years back. Ask for Kevin and mention my name.

Even if you buy them mail order you will need to get them fitted and it will probably cost you a fortune, so a trip to Cambridge might be worthwhile?

Just had another thought, give Claydon's of Saxham a call, they may be able to help but not fit them. Again mention my name and TC Tyres of Cambridge {my old company].

Regards,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Sorry for not saying 'thanks' earlier.

I rang around a few local ones and the price for the Michelins I wanted seemed to be the same everywhere. I then rang the place we use at work and tried for a discount - I got a little, but it appears that Michelin do not offer the mark up that other brands do.

Does that sound right by your experience?

All the best,

Elton

PS The online ones weren't worth it, once you take into consideration the fitting.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Problem is what you're looking for is high performance and a low volume seller so they charge what they like and can get away with it. There's a company called Micheldever that was mentioned a lot on the Subaru boards - 01962 774437. Don't know where they are though.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

davidP:

Problem is what you're looking for is high performance and a low volume seller so they charge what they like and can get away with it. There's a company called Micheldever that was mentioned a lot on the Subaru boards - 01962 774437. Don't know where they are though.

Cheers, David. Will store that one for future reference.

However, I feel that it is the manufacturers that charge what they like, not the dealers :(

All the best,

Elton

That's what I meant - only difference in price you'll see is some dealers with a lower markup.

Couple of sites that might be worth a look -

www.tyresdirect2u.com say they have a mobile tyre fitting service countrywide. Order before 11:30 for same day fitting. No online quote, - ring 0800 195 0511

www.blackcircles.com will quote for a mobile fitting.

www.etyres.co.uk also offer mobile fitting.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Elton:

Hi Colin,

Sorry for not saying 'thanks' earlier.

I rang around a few local ones and the price for the Michelins I wanted seemed to be the same everywhere. I then rang the place we use at work and tried for a discount - I got a little, but it appears that Michelin do not offer the mark up that other brands do.

Does that sound right by your experience?

All the best,

Elton

PS The online ones weren't worth it, once you take into consideration the fitting.

Elton, That's about right. You could give me a call on Monday morning and I will try one of my old suppliers for you. No promises though. Let me know the size etc. I will email my number direct.

Colin