John Wilson Emigrating

Elton

Just to round this one off - and no doubt encourage a few more disparaging comments :bleh:

It would seem that his departure is imminent, sometime in the next week or two; I stumbled across this article earlier:

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/sport/fitting_tribute_to_the_legend_that_is_john_wilson_1_2800973

I wonder who currently has an offer in on his house and lakes?

'Bye John, and good luck! :bye1:

I'm probably in a minority but.......good ridance, cant stand the man with his stupid giggling.

:) I have never been a fan and that stupid giggling ,but I wish him well.

tight lines

hunters moon :) .

Well if it is a toss up between, my fellow countryman Robson Green, and John Wilson I would pick John Wilson every time!

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Guest Wilko 09

Well I would like to offer him my sincere best wishes for the future and thank him for his efforts in presenting Angling to the masses in a manner that has made it more acceptable and popular, especially to mainstream television.

I think that as an ambassador for our sport/ pastime/ leisure activity whatever you wish to call it, he did a mighty fine job, as bourne out by his MBE being awarded on the strength of it. His giggling and presentation may have been annoying to many anglers but as a trademark it worked; my non-angling wife could only name John Wilson because of it and actually shows an interest in his programs. A job well done, I reckon!

There will always be negative comments about celebrities (however minor they are) and I am not going to judge him on partial stories that I have only heard the one side of. I have never met him, nor am I likely to but the vast majority of those that have most probably did so very briefly at some kind of fayre or show and of that majority, a few would have been put off by him, probably because after a long, monotonous day, he came across as rude, grumpy or arrogant, we all have bad days but we tend to focus on the negatives of celebrities far more than their positives.

I started fishing 36+ years ago and used to thoroughly enjoy reading his articles in the Anglers Mail. I still enjoy watching the old shows he did and still read his articles, I may not agree with his politics but I am still prepared to listen to him and accept that at his age he has, like most of us, become less tolerant, some of his gripes are actually well presented (water abstraction being one).

He has been very successful in what he's done and reaped the rewards that came with it and I would like to believe that his decision to leave was based primarily on the health of his present wife rather than angling politics. To a small degree, for me at least, he was inspirational.

Once again, I thank him and wish him the very best of luck for the future.

• Like 2

And I will second that :)

Den

• Like 1

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I remember seeing a comment under a go fishing episode on youtube - 'my dad taught me to fish, but John Wilson taught me to fish properly'. As a kid of the 80s, I completely agree!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

And I will second that :)

Den

Thirded - hard to remember now the impact his very first Go-Fishing programmes had in the 80s - very influential in (re)popularising centre-pins is one of his legacies IMO...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Me to --as above.Shared a boat with Vic Bellars in the `70`s as JW used to pay for the Broadland SG to have boats on Ranworth Inner , for 1st day I believe it was 1st. March as Ranworth opened for last two weeks of season.Had my second ,but first Norfolk 20 compliments of the Great man.( Got my chance because a man called Doug Allen ( now deceased ) could not make it ) Vic is also sadly deceased.

Didnt know he was still alive !giggling wilson that is

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson