John Wilson Emigrating

Elton

Guest 1lastcast

Good, as opposed to bad.

He doesn't eat what he catches, he always has time for a chat, he doesn't sponsor tackle he doesn't think is good enough, he has a wonderful wife and children, he likes heavy metal, and he is a pretty good presenter and a very good angler, not much then to dislike I suppose is there?

Oh! yes this is AN :doh:

He doesn't eat what he catches, he always has time for a chat, he doesn't sponsor tackle he doesn't think is good enough, he has a wonderful wife and children, he likes heavy metal, and he is a pretty good presenter and a very good angler, not much then to dislike I suppose is there?

Oh! yes this is AN :doh:

And eating what you catch is bad?

He can also be a very rude and arrogant person (a friend of mine had the misfortune of having to film him).

Why would anyone sponsor crap tackle?

His wife and children aren't the subject.

Thinking a person is good because he likes heavy metal......I'll pass on that one.....

Yes, obviously a good angler, his presenting style can be a bit wearing but he's not the worst.

He also sanctions killing native wildlife that eat fish...including non-native imports...that's bad and reflects badly on anglers.

Oh yes, it is AN and we individuals have opinions. Personally I don't like his attitude to other people or wildlife in general, that's been more obvious over recent years, he's become a bit of an angry old man...

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I have met him twice and both times he was working once at a fly fishing event yonks ago when his sponsor ryobi masterline had a stand and once at the opening of a mates tackle shop that he was paid a large wedge to attend....Rude and arrogant ..yep in spades he wanted his dosh the second his time was up moaned about the Hotel they put him up in and had a face like thunder both times and it was all I I I and me me me ,he obviously didn`t want to be there but happy to take the dosh .

Very good angler no doubt but his people skills leave a bit to be disired .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

This is AN, be sure of that. No question that John is over the hill but in his time he has written some excellent books. He has also put his name to some very good tackle, not least his twin tip Avon rod. He has also entertained thousands if not millions with his angling programs.

When he had his shop in Norwich I saw the less that desirable JW when he belittled a youngster working in his shop. On the other hand he made me up what I suppose was a predecessor to his Six Shooter rod. The report and enthusiasm between us on that style of of angling was memorable. I still have that rod, won't part with it. Interestingly a certain Jan Vaile wanted to take it back with her to America, talk about coals to Newcastle!

He was also a fan of the close season so he can't be all bad! On balance I shall miss John, he is a great ambassador for our sport, despite a tad of grumpiness.

On one occasion he was fishing my local Broad after a known thirty, he and a well known friend, another John, had sat for several days, fishless, at the relevant spot. As they packed up I rowed up and stopped for a word or two and as they pulled away I cast my bait. Yep, I caught her! Much laughter, I admired him for that.

Guest 1lastcast

And eating what you catch is bad?

He can also be a very rude and arrogant person (a friend of mine had the misfortune of having to film him).

Why would anyone sponsor crap tackle?

His wife and children aren't the subject.

Thinking a person is good because he likes heavy metal......I'll pass on that one.....

Yes, obviously a good angler, his presenting style can be a bit wearing but he's not the worst.

He also sanctions killing native wildlife that eat fish...including non-native imports...that's bad and reflects badly on anglers.

Oh yes, it is AN and we individuals have opinions. Personally I don't like his attitude to other people or wildlife in general, that's been more obvious over recent years, he's become a bit of an angry old man...

Actually this bit of the thread was about his nephew Martin Bowler not JW.

However I do have some sympathy on how you see John Wilson, but the general feeling I have about him is a positive , he seems however to have gone down a similar route to Hugh Miles, and I certainly do not support this blame game on the Otter, it is especially an odd stance with both HM and JW to take considering their obvious fondness for all things wild, just as long as it doesn't eat my Goldfish.

Its just dawned on me that JW was a trained hairdresser - MB get your hair cut for free before he leaves :bye2:

• Like 2

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Its just dawned on me that JW was a trained hairdresser - MB get your hair cut for free before he leaves :bye2:

He used to cut hair on board ship.

He's OK if the floors moving, but crap if it's still.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

he doesn't sponsor tackle he doesn't think is good enough

Then he's a pretty judge of what's good.

Have you seen the reviews of the baitcasting outfit with his name on it ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest 1lastcast

Then he's a pretty judge of what's good.

Have you seen the reviews of the baitcasting outfit with his name on it ?

Has MB put his name on a baitcaster?

I know JW did/has. :unsure:

He used to cut hair on board ship.

He's OK if the floors moving, but crap if it's still.

John.

No sorry, I refuse to comment on the grounds that I may incriminate myself or fall off my perch laughing!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!