Cannot access a specific website

riverside

I’m having a problem with accessing a certain website or I should say the Mrs is because it’s one she wants to browse. It’s actually this site www.shop4makeup.com if that’s okay to say what it is.

When I try to open the website’s home page, it does not load correctly. Instead of images being displayed, I get those small image icons. Also, when some of the website’s home page does load (which takes ages) and I click on any of the links, I get a message saying cannot connect. On other occasions, it also looks as a though a text only version is trying to load because the text is a different colour, usually blue. This is the only site I seem to be having a problem with. Every other website is loading fine. I have tried two different browsers, IE8 and Google Chrome, though Google Chrome does seem to make a better attempt to load the page than IE8.

To try and solve this problem, this is what I’ve done so far:

Tried to access the site on two other computers. There was no problem at all. Also, my son’s girlfriend can access it on her mobile going through my router at the same time I can’t access it.

Ran CCleaner in each user account.

Flushed the DNS cache in each user account in a command prompt, although I thought CCleaner did this anyway.

Tried clearing the browsing data within IE8 and Google Chrome

Turned my router off and on again.

Ran a virus scan. (MSE) No malicious items found

Ran malwarebytes. No malicious items found

Checked the hosts file but doesn’t seem nothing untoward in there

Tried to ping the web address which determines no loss of packets sent or received. However, it comes up with address 92.48.117.50 which if I enter into IE8 it comes up cannot connect. Google Chrome comes up ‘If you feel you have reached this page in error, please contact the web site owner:’ and then mentions about clearing DNS cache.

If it helps, I’m using Windows XP Home Service Pack 3, AMD Sempron 2.8, NVIDIA Geforce 6100 onboard graphics, 1gb of RAM and 30mb broadband connection.

Edited by riverside

It's not your problem, the website is knackered in general. I wouldn't be purchasing anything from it as it's got problems. You don't know how secure it is.

Thanks for that Andy. I’m pleased to know that it’s not a problem my end. How do you tell that the website is knackered though? Would be good to know what to look for if anything similar happens again.

I've been able to access it with no issues at all. Not the best looking site in the world, and I most certainly would not buy from a site that only provides a PO Box address.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

It looks fine even on this tablet but only the front page clicking anything else nothing happens and i wouldnt trust a site that obviously doesn't update often as theres a link to xmas 2012!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for that Andy. I’m pleased to know that it’s not a problem my end. How do you tell that the website is knackered though? Would be good to know what to look for if anything similar happens again.

Missing pictures, no formatting on text, no styling, links not working, very slow loading times etc etc. ive got a keen eye for it though since I make websites. For the average joe it might not be so apparent.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Missing pictures, no formatting on text, no styling, links not working, very slow loading times etc etc. ive got a keen eye for it though since I make websites. For the average joe it might not be so apparent.

Hi Andy, what I'm saying is it is all working fine for me, I started making web sites in 1993 so may possibly understand when a site is working and when it is not. Text is formatted, styling is applied, loads in less than a second.

It's a very old fashioned looking site, but for me it is working absolutely fine.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

The first time I loaded the website the CSS file hadn't loaded so had 0 styling/formatting.

There's a little formatting now but still broken links to pics and no background image on menus etc. If those things don't work 100% of the time it makes me really wonder how the security side of things has been done since its running zen cart with possibly poorly installed and configured 3rd party mods.

I would be avoiding like the plague.

P.s. Typing in a different folder name (I won't say which one) displayed an SQL file.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk