Oz 2013 report 5

Snatcher

This session had me fishing at Clontarf,Middle Harbour,Sydney with Neil. Neil is originally from Southampton but has now lived in Australia for over 20 years. He knew that I was desperate to add a flathead to my species list so with this in mind we had fresh whitebait to tempt them and also Neil had a small fishtrap.

Clontarf is a lovely part of the harbour with a fine park and protected swimming area there. Check it out on this picture below.

IMG_0761_zps223e14b9.jpg

We set up about 100 yds to the right of this pool. I set up a running ledger rig with a 2/0 circle hook on the end. I baited this with a single whitebait and just lobbed it out about 20 yards as the water was deep close in. Neil set up with a small lure,hoping to tempt flathead or bonito.

I only had to wait a matter of seconds when I had a tap on the rod tip. I tightened into the fish and just hoped it was going to be a flathead !!! I was fairly disapointed when I seen it was a small bream. A quick picture and back it went.

IMG_1329_zpsd847d8c4.jpg

Neil meanwhile had a few hits on his lure but failed to hook up. He had his fish trap out and noticed that the bread had attracted some small mullet.

IMG_1331_zpsef328dbc.jpg

I put on a mullet livebait and it got bitten off first cast. This happened a few more times and then eventually I managed to hook up to hopefully my first flathead. No it was a another bream but bigger than the first one. I simply shook it off at the water edge. Neil in the meanwhile managed to hook a small tailor on his lure. After about an hour here we decided on a move to below the pool.

On went another livebait and I did not have to wait long for a bite. This was a bigger fish and fought well on light gear. It was no flathead but a snapper.

IMG_1335_zps32f3d6d8.jpg

We persisted for another hour and I picked up two more decent snapper but no flathead. Oh well there is always next time.

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Mate, the little one is a snapper and the not much bigger one is a yellowfin bream.

Trust a Geordie to mix 'em up, but that's only between you and me, hey? :secret:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Mate, the little one is a snapper and the not much bigger one is a yellowfin bream.

Trust a Geordie to mix 'em up, but that's only between you and me, hey? :secret:

My ozzie fishing mate Neil identified them - cannot blame a daft Geordie Bobj :bleh:

John

• Like 1

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy