Mitchell 300 drag upgrades - How?

philocalist

Like many people, I've got Mitchell 300's (and Match's!) still in use on occasion. I keep reading reference (online) to people upgrading the drag washers on the spools, which apparently is a big improvement - has anyone actually done this? Is it worhwhile, and can you provie a walk-through, i.e what washers etc are used, where they might be sourced etc?

Thanks!

Edited by philocalist

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Back in the day when i used nothing but 300/410's, i modified them all. Bale arm from the 410 on the 300 handle from a 410 to a 300. Uprated bale arm springs on all.

The clutch then used white PTFE washers, by increasing the number of thewse the drag did get a bit smoother.

I must admit I was lucky as my local shop kept all the spare parts in stock, so very easy to souce the spares.

Cheers Rob, I've fitted out all of my Mitchells with Carbon drags, the 302 with the multi disc setup is bloody awesome and, I'd use it with a metal spool for blue shark. The 300s and 410s etc benefit from a stronger and beautifully smooth drag, do it, it costs a few bob but you end up with a strong reel with a smooth drag!

Philocalist, give me the details of the reels that you want to upgrade and I'll give you specs. Most of the drag discs had to be machined to suit, but,. not a huge problem for the eventual benefits !

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Worms,

I have 3x 300s reels, the skirted spool versions. Can they also be upgraded

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I don't know, I'm afraid I don't have any experience of the 'modern' 300 series!

I don't see any reason why not though, it all depends on diameters of shafts and drag washers!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• 2 months later...

I've resurrected this thread as I've just taken delivery of a 440 and would like to upgrade the drag. It never bothered me in the past, since I used to play fish off the handle, but the old fingers aren't as nimble these days so a good clutch is a necessity.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Guest I live in hope

Smooth drags, are essential as far as I am concerned, just had a day on the Wye, had a few Barbel but the bites dried up a bit, so switched to a 5lb hook length and a 14 micro barb hook which I attached a single 8mm pellet. I had two further bonus fish in the 9lb bracket which with the smooth clutch on the Penn Slammer I could 'tame' the fish. Great hook hold too with such a small hook.

However I would not trust the clutch on a 300, no matter what upgrades I could muster, but they are beautiful reels no doubt, but the Yanks have the market on such reels that they use for salt water super charged fish.

Not for the 'purist' though, and the retrieve is slightly more than 1.1 :(

Bump. Where's Worms when you need him!