Favourite perch bait?

davedave

A Mepps or a lobworm but my biggest fell to a soft plastic shad on a jighead.

Same for me. I would also go with lobs if using bait but I prefer small lures if targetting them specifically.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

2-3" rubber shads or spinners for me too. That's been my approach over the last season. If eels are a problem then that would select perch better than little deadbaits.

Picking up an envelope full of soft plastics off the doormat is a lot less hassle than obtaining 'proper' baits.

I dropped into a swim on the Thames that I knew contained plenty perch & that a guy fishing maggot feeder had fished for hours getting only roach & skimmers. First cast into the same spot with a 2" shad got me a fat 2lb-12 perch followed by several more.

The perch had been gorging on bleak etc for a couple weeks there and wouldn't consider anything that didn't act like a fish.

I've often tried small spinners on the water I've fished, and had no bites at all. A lot of people I've spoken to have also had no luck, however a small minority seem to have had some nice fish. I can't seem to be able to buy small rubber lures in the tackle shop and I'm not keen on the ones on the net, I have tried small spinners but lobworms and deadbaits have always been more successful. I find I get more bites/fish on lobworms but I have problems with 'nuisance' fish, however small fresh roach deadbaits give you one or two bites a day if your lucky, however the bites are decent and the fish are a better size. Prawns I only have chub. Maybe I should try harder to get hold of some small rubber lures

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I don't have a favourite perch bait as I've found what's best varies from water to water.

In general though on clear waters I've done best with worms. This even includes a gravel pit that was absolutely stuffed full of fry yet produced my first four pounders on lobs fished amongst the fry! On murky venues like commercials I've found live and deadbaits more successful. In clear waters and on rivers I've found pike to be a nuisance on fish baits. Maggots have caught me too many small perch, and I've yet to try prawns.

On some waters I've done very well on lures, but only if they're clear. This has applied to both rivers and stillwaters.

For more thoughts on perch baits see my article at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing-Articles/perch-baits.html.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve. Are you saying that targeting Perch and then Pike come along that Pike are 'Pescy'?
Shame on you sir!

If pike moved in would you change swims :whistling:;)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Steve. Are you saying that targeting Perch and then Pike come along that Pike are 'Pescy'?

Shame on you sir!

If pike moved in would you change swims :whistling:;)

It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net