Windows 8

I had my laptop burgled on Monday. The insurance company were very quick and had a new one delivered on Wednesday, and it has Windows 8. Needs a bit of getting used to.

One problem is that my old printer wasn't supported, so I bought a new one today from Staples - an HP Deskjet 1000 - a very basic machine. But when I put in the CD I discovered that Windows 8 doesn't support that either!

I expect there was some small print I should have read, but it seems poor to me that Windows 8 doesn't support a printer that is still on sale in the shops, and equally that Staples are selling printers that are no longer supported by the newer computers. My last printer was a portable which I moved to a shelf when not in use, and I want something reasonably small and light that I can do the same with, though probably not an actual portable. I have just been on the web to try and find a simple, light printer that I can use with Windows 8, but the sites I have found don't seem to list which software it is compatible with.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

john clarke

Pop over to the hp site if theres a driver it will be there

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=4066376&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=4066042

Occasionally the use of compatibility mode actually works so your old printer may still work as well ,what is it?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The drivers on the CD are the same age as when the printer was boxed and almost certainly pre Win8. As phone suggests, see if you can install using the drivers that came with Win8. If your device is there it will almost certainly install properly and work fine.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks, all of you. Yes, it worked fine downloading a driver from the HP site.

Chesters, my old printer is a Canon i80. I'll give that a try as well. Thanks

J

No win8 drivers on the canon site ,plug it in and see what happens you may get basic functions or try inserting your driver disk ,dont use autorun and right click use explore to open it and look for the setup file ,right click on that choose combatability mode and use xp service pak 2 if its available and see what happens

Not got win8 so i presume the techniche is similar to 7

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Same happened to my Epson printer, printer worked fine, but the scanner was a no go.

Bought e new all in one jobbie to suit windows 7.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

win 8 can be a nightmare however i use an old hp V45 multi function dodah and it works just fine i just connected the usb and bingo job done

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Windows 8 is horrible to use, in my opinion. Desktop operating system user interfaces should be optimised for mouse and keyboard, not touchscreen.

Windows 8 is just as functional as windows 7!

Yes it's a shell shock to start with but I have two clients recently who picked it up and are using it happily with far greater speed than they did with XP!

It's simply a new platform to learn; yes it has its foibles and it even looks like windows 8.1 will bring back a start button and a direct to desktop mode. Those seem to be the major moaning points about it.

For me I actually find it tough to work on XP systems these days! Keep looking for control panel or shooting my mouse over for a charm bar! Lol