Medway barbel

Jim Gibbinson

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome purebarbelman,

Had a short trip on the lower medway a while back and witnessed a young chap fishing in a rather crude manner ( to me) He was perched on a path well above the river edge and had his rod on a beach spike fishing into a wier from two swims below, His weight was tied to his line and he was fishing hailbut pellet, When asked how he was doing he replied he had not caught yet but had a barbel from the same swim the day before, Almost dismissing his comment to pass him he then produced his mobile phone with a picture of a nicely proportioned barbel of around 4lb, Still thinking about digging out my grip leads and drop net!! :rolleyes:

Edited by KAYC

The Barbel are definately there, and definately spawning, I've watched them. There are very few places on the Medway which are conducive to such an occurence, but as I say, i've watched them. I'm now targeting them seriously (as serious as I can, witha dodgy leg!) and I think I've worked out where they'll be this winter.

The fish I watched, were averaging about 6lbs in weight, which if you take into account recent catch reports of Barbel from the river, makes it seem like they're from the same stocking. I'll post some more tommorrow, but my supper's ready, so I've got to go!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

OK, I'm back. I'm going to be heading for the one or two wierpools which are free to fish, basically. One in particular, absolutely belts over most of the year, but is best in December. It's fishable from a sandy bank. Other than that, there are a number of fallen trees, which are creating nice folds in the river at the moment. When the level comes up a bit and these are submerged, the back eddies will be good after V.heavy rain. Can't be more sepcific than that, without knowing which club you're a member of.

My best tip would be to walk the bank a lot (which I've been doing for a number of years, allthough with my new limp, I'm a bit more restricted) and keep a bit of bait going into likely spots, even when not fishing. You'll be able to spot the likely and unlikely spots best, at this time of the year, when fallien leaves on the water, will tell you where the best flows are. I'm actually fishing most, on another river for a while, but if that river "doesn't look right", it'll be Barbel, Barbel, Barbel!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

hello

good to see there is some intrest,i first got taken barbel fishing 23 yrs ago on the kennet at reading by a really good friend who sadly i have lost contact with.on that first trip i landed the only fish of the day a magnificent 10 pounder which was bigger than any he had ever caught and untill this day i have not betterd it.......

more to follow