Wingham Fish-In Sat 18th to Mon 20th May 2013

Steve Burke

I expect we'll see him again soon...!

Anyway, back to the fish-in, is anyone fishing with the bream in mind? I reckon there might be a decent shot at them this weekend, even more so if the tench are a bit quiet (on the other hand, the tench might go nuts, we'll soon see). I will be fishing for the bream if in a suitable swim. If you do get one, a reminder to get some good photos of it on the mat and some clear close ups of the tail. Good luck, they are awesome fish, each one a fish of a lifetime.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anyway, back to the fish-in, is anyone fishing with the bream in mind? I reckon there might be a decent shot at them this weekend, even more so if the tench are a bit quiet (on the other hand, the tench might go nuts, we'll soon see). I will be fishing for the bream if in a suitable swim. If you do get one, a reminder to get some good photos of it on the mat and some clear close ups of the tail. Good luck, they are awesome fish, each one a fish of a lifetime.

That true Andrew but there also a mention to get an fish scale as well?

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Don't know about scales - Steve, do you still want them or are decent photos enough? I reckon by now we can identify them from photos, or see if it's an unknown one.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A scale please as I can then get them aged as well. I had given up on this as Bruno Broughton is no longer willing to do them but the EA has offered to instead.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I would love a bream but I think I will be mainly aiming for tench and eels this year. I know my brother is aiming for the tench too. I am pretty sure neither of us would mind the bream coming along though. What would you say you will do differently for the bream that you might not do for the tench Andrew?

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I'm fishing with perch in mind..... although I went to the tackle shop at the weekend and I ended up buying a load of stuff suitable to tench fishing! I'm still hoping to fish for Perch but if there is a good tench area in the swim I will probably fish that as well :-)

A scale please as I can then get them aged as well. I had given up on this as Bruno Broughton is no longer willing to do them but the EA has offered to instead.

As no doubt I will be catching a dozen or so of these wonderful fish (I wish!) can you advise if a scale from near the tail would give you the same information as one from the flank. I would feel very guilty pulling a scale from one of these beautiful fish anyway but if I can grab one from somewhere near the tale where its not so obvious I would feel much better.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

I gather the reason why a scale from the shoulder is recommended is that it's less likely to be a replacement - these won't show the true age of the fish. But I don't know this for sure.

Vagabond?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I would love a bream but I think I will be mainly aiming for tench and eels this year. I know my brother is aiming for the tench too. I am pretty sure neither of us would mind the bream coming along though. What would you say you will do differently for the bream that you might not do for the tench Andrew?

Good question!

I think firstly, be lucky ;) There aren't many and so if they're not in front of you, you can't catch them.

But some practical ideas that may help:

1. Larger quantities of groundbait and quick breakdown pellets can help get their attention

2. Get all your baiting for the night done by early afternoon at the latest; they are skittish and if they move into your swim late afternoon ready to feed at night and a spod lands on their heads, they'll be off (I've done it and watched them go...not a nice sight!)

3. Avoid recasting from dusk onwards unless really necessary, for the same reason

4. Baits on the edge of, or outside, a main baited area seem to be preferred

5. Areas that are a firm bottom and naturally free of weed are decent bets to fish for them

6. Use long drops after dark and take your time striking, in case it's a big line bite. Strike at a liner and they're very likely to spook and be off (done that too, also not nice!)

Others might have other advice, I don't pretent to be an expert, but the above might help a bit. They do have a habit of being caught at fish-ins, so there's every chance someone will get one.