Wingham Fish-In Sat 18th to Mon 20th May 2013

Steve Burke

I think Watercraft is Everything at Wingham. I am beginning to get a pattern of where the carp in the main tend to stay early doors and move into certain areas as the day and more the time of year. I also think that the carp are easier to find in the weed for sure. This maybe in my second year is a bold statement but i can only tell of my experiences so far

Eels on the course lake i am beginning to get signs too but i think i have yet got the swim where there are a few big one's lurk but i am now moving away from what i think are the carp areas to maybe where the bigger eels are as for sure i don't think they are near the carp at all. As for the Bream i just think that one day somebody will just hit the jackpot as they will take anything and i think it will be right place and right time... so the theory of carp and Eels i think i agree with.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

On the subject of attractants for Eels,many moons ago when I used to fish every hour I could and fished summer and winter leagues on every god forsaken venue in the south I came across a medium I mixed with Brown crumb that devastated the Eels on the Kentish Rother... during our teams practise sessions I used to scrape the bandsaw dust after cutting pig spleens (Melts ) which stank and had a high blood content, it is no exageration to say I more than doubled the weights of my team on 2 sessions and came second on the day of the match with an all Eel catch only beaten by a Dorking angler with a big bag of Bream, If you know a Butcher ask and try you will be amazed........

smelly but amazed. :bye2:

I plan to use dead maggots, chopped worm and was just going to bung the pred plus in as added attractant as I have a bottle lying around in the shed that needs using. Was going to bind it with brown crumb to get it out. What about mashed maggots? Sounds rank but that has to be worth a go. I can kill them and just give em a chopping or something on the day when I mix em with the chopped worms.

Rik, what did you catch those eels on the other week ?...live maggots m8, forget the dead ones, lives are better, on your hook and in your groundbait also. Maggots don't move far in water and can't dig down very deep in the silt, infact if you throw a few in the shallows and watch em' most will just stretch out and die on top of the substrate after a spell. The eels will be there digging about for ages for any maggots that happen to have buried themselves in the bottom so i'd deffo go with live maggots. You could do a maggot worm cocktail on your hook also...eels do go nuts for worm there's no doubt about that. I know an old chap who catches a lot of nice eels on the river using chunk's of liver dipped in pigs blood so that would be worth trying also :).

• Like 1

Water temperature has dropped here in Suffolk quite a lot in the last week. Bream were spawning as it hit 15c last mid week but it has steadily dropped since.

Worth bearing in mind

John

I just spoke to Steve about an hour ago. With luck, I should be able to get there for a day on Saturday. I am going to assist with the siting of the trees, and maybe have a pop at a tench while I'm there. I don't do this sort of fishing so it will be a traditional approach with something like float fished bread, corn or whatever else I can find in the kitchen that might tempt a tench or bream.

On the other hand, I might not be able to get out, in which case I won't!

I've not posted for a long time, family and work commitments getting inthe way. Not to mention Angling Society business. Maybe I'll get some time to post once in a while. Maybe I'll get to fish - now that would be remarkable!

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Rik, what did you catch those eels on the other week ?...live maggots m8, forget the dead ones, lives are better, on your hook and in your groundbait also. Maggots don't move far in water and can't dig down very deep in the silt, infact if you throw a few in the shallows and watch em' most will just stretch out and die on top of the substrate after a spell. The eels will be there digging about for ages for any maggots that happen to have buried themselves in the bottom so i'd deffo go with live maggots. You could do a maggot worm cocktail on your hook also...eels do go nuts for worm there's no doubt about that. I know an old chap who catches a lot of nice eels on the river using chunk's of liver dipped in pigs blood so that would be worth trying also :).

That's interesting that you think live maggs are better than deads. I think it makes very little difference although i think in weed deads could be better simply just resting on top instead of going deep :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Just wondering, what weather forecasting site do you Wingham veterans use ? Starting to get concerned with the weather we are getting here in Essex today!

Mat the fairweather fisherman!

Mat

Mat, for good news, wunderground; for bad news, accuweather ;)

None of them agree right now, so who knows...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music