Wingham Fish-In Sat 18th to Mon 20th May 2013

Steve Burke

All I want is a bright sunny weekend with maybe a light cooling breeze and overnight temps high enough not to warrant a sleeping bag. I want to leave the wellies and waterproofs at home, take the shorts & flip flops and sit outside the bivvy (maybe with the factor 8) reading a book waiting for the alarms to sound.

Is that really too much to ask during late May?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Are you coming this year John?

No Andrew I am not.

Wingham is such an idyllic place and suits my fishing perfectly. It is everything I could want in a water. Because of this it dominated my thoughts for the whole of may last year and beyond.

I really couldn't concentrate on my fishing for a while afterwards dreaming all the time of those lovely days and nights spent there. Long chats with Steve meeting the others and the wonderfull wildlife.

It took me a while to recover it affected me that much.

The sensible thing to do would be to apply to join but alas that would not suit either my work or finances. Also I do not enjoy the journey from here to there. Doing it regularly would drive me nuts. Its not the distance but the tunnel and traffic.

So at present its the forbidden pleasure for me not daring to sip at its essence once again for fear it may take me over completely this time.

One half of me seriously wishes I was there the other is scared.

I am sure you dales and the other members will understand the feelings it evokes.

John

Edited by John Weddup

Rusty I think that might be a bit much to ask this year...! Can't hurt to pack the waterproofs and warm sleeping bag... :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

For those worried about the weather, I would just keep an open mind and see what happens. Last year the weekend before the fish-in was cold, windy and a bit rainy, but the few of us there then all did really well. It can fish well in what look like poor conditions sometimes.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Quote rustykins

All I want is a bright sunny weekend with maybe a light cooling breeze and overnight temps high enough not to warrant a sleeping bag. I want to leave the wellies and waterproofs at home, take the shorts & flip flops and sit outside the bivvy (maybe with the factor 8) reading a book waiting for the alarms to sound.

Is that really too much to ask during late May?

Well after speaking to the village elders and seeing the cows sat down in the corner of the field i have deduced the weather is likely to be like this

Windydayatthelake001.jpg

Always fancied going but bottle it every year as i would most likely love it and then end up wanting to join and spend lots of money band travell a lot up motorways and have the mrs moan we wouldn`t be using the boat etc.....always enjoy the write ups though atb to those going and may you catch a monster or 2

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Rik, what did you catch those eels on the other week ?...live maggots m8, forget the dead ones, lives are better, on your hook and in your groundbait also. Maggots don't move far in water and can't dig down very deep in the silt, infact if you throw a few in the shallows and watch em' most will just stretch out and die on top of the substrate after a spell. The eels will be there digging about for ages for any maggots that happen to have buried themselves in the bottom so i'd deffo go with live maggots. You could do a maggot worm cocktail on your hook also...eels do go nuts for worm there's no doubt about that. I know an old chap who catches a lot of nice eels on the river using chunk's of liver dipped in pigs blood so that would be worth trying also :).

This time Ian I would have to disagree with most of what you have said based on my own personel experience.

1. Live maggots tend to break up balls of cereal groundbait (but not to relevant here)

2. The whole reason dead maggots are so much better for feed for big fish/long stay tactics is that they DONT bury them selves/ crawl under cover.

3. Eels dont like digging around in silt or rooting around amongst gravel.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

No Andrew I am not.

A great shame John.I understand your reasoning though. As much as Wingham "suits" some anglers more than others some anglers "suit" Wingham more than others!.As such I personally feel its a great shame that you cant take up a ticket and join us.

• Like 1

Re the weather its a bit of a pisser and dont look to promising unfortunately! My biggest concern is the night time temperatures and the big variation expected over the period in them. But hey like Anderoo says lets see what happens!..................but the over wrap will definately being used!

This time Ian I would have to disagree with most of what you have said based on my own personel experience.

1. Live maggots tend to break up balls of cereal groundbait (but not to relevant here)

2. The whole reason dead maggots are so much better for feed for big fish/long stay tactics is that they DONT bury them selves/ crawl under cover.

3. Eels dont like digging around in silt or rooting around amongst gravel.

OK Budgie here's my reasons behind my thoughts...

1. As you say maggots break up balls of groundbait and that's one of the reasons I like putting them into it.

2. Maggots can't last long in water and if they do bury themselves it won't/ can't be very deep-this holds the fish in the swim for longer periods as they root about for them. Try throwing some into the margins and watch them.

3. I've actually watched eels digging around in silt for ages and they spend a lot of their time living under / in it. I used to keep a few in a tank and they actually spent most of their time under the gravel coming out when things where quiet or after dark.