Wingham Fish-In Sat 18th to Mon 20th May 2013

Steve Burke

OK Budgie here's my reasons behind my thoughts...

1. As you say maggots break up balls of groundbait and that's one of the reasons I like putting them into it.

2. Maggots can't last long in water and if they do bury themselves it won't/ can't be very deep-this holds the fish in the swim for longer periods as they root about for them. Try throwing some into the margins and watch them.

3. I've actually watched eels digging around in silt for ages and they spend a lot of their time living under / in it. I used to keep a few in a tank and they actually spent most of their time under the gravel coming out when things where quiet or after dark.

:lol: And obviously my reasons for taking exactly the opposite veiw are er erm exactly the opposite!

1. I dont want my ball of groundbait to break up (in mid air though!)

2. Just wiggling about makes them "fall" into gaps in gravel / get covered in silt and in this in the case off eels isnt desirable because-

3, Ive observed them completely ignoring areas that have been heavily baited but the maggots are not in direct veiw!

So it looks like weve had exact opposite experiences! This I dont doubt and after all these years fishing am not at all supprised about! BUT of course the interesting question is why? But thats a topic for a different thread all on its own!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

All, BUDGIE,

How about pop-up artifical maggots over a bed of dead maggots? Maybe even live maggots on a pop-up of an inch or so?

We don't use maggots anywhere near like you do in the UK.

Phone

:lol: And obviously my reasons for taking exactly the opposite veiw are er erm exactly the opposite!

1. I dont want my ball of groundbait to break up (in mid air though!)

2. Just wiggling about makes them "fall" into gaps in gravel / get covered in silt and in this in the case off eels isnt desirable because-

3, Ive observed them completely ignoring areas that have been heavily baited but the maggots are not in direct veiw!

So it looks like weve had exact opposite experiences! This I dont doubt and after all these years fishing am not at all supprised about! BUT of course the interesting question is why? But thats a topic for a different thread all on its own!

LOL Budgie, this is one thing we deffo have different views on, who's right or wrong, well it's pretty obvious.......your wrong of course ;):lol: .

Edited by Tigger

I've had 3 cancellations so if anyone who hadn't applied wants to come please get in touch asap by e-mailing via the Wingham website at www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

No Andrew I am not.

Wingham is such an idyllic place and suits my fishing perfectly. It is everything I could want in a water. Because of this it dominated my thoughts for the whole of may last year and beyond.

I really couldn't concentrate on my fishing for a while afterwards dreaming all the time of those lovely days and nights spent there. Long chats with Steve meeting the others and the wonderfull wildlife.

It took me a while to recover it affected me that much.

The sensible thing to do would be to apply to join but alas that would not suit either my work or finances. Also I do not enjoy the journey from here to there. Doing it regularly would drive me nuts. Its not the distance but the tunnel and traffic.

So at present its the forbidden pleasure for me not daring to sip at its essence once again for fear it may take me over completely this time.

One half of me seriously wishes I was there the other is scared.

I am sure you dales and the other members will understand the feelings it evokes.

John

Very sorry indeed to hear that, John. I remember how much Wingham affected you. It's done the same to several others, including Paul (tincatinca).

If you change your mind, I've got some vacancies.

You're also welcome to come on a guest ticket . Temptation, temptation!! :spiteful:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The weather can't be much worse than today when it was cold with heavy squally showers. I was doing an interview on the Carp Lake and stayed on a bit in a member's bivvy sheltering from the rain. We were watching carp jump out repeatedly!

The weather forecast, although not good, has much improved recently according to some forecasts. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2653877. However none of them seem to agree!

They all seem to think it will be a little warmer, both by day and by night, so hopefully it'll mean the fish do feed.

It's a bloody shame the weather looks similar to last year but thats the way it is. It will no doubt be harder but then it is what it is and i am sure just like the big fellah last year and a few others will break a PB and/or catch a nice fish. In fact a Bream could be up this year...Now that would be a thing for anyone. I am looking forward to it not just because of what i catch but to see what others catch especially if a big eel is caught on the Coarse lake.....I think there are a few of us...

The thing is that its not great conditions but there are some bloody big fish in there and if you have not bought a ticket you cant win the.....................BREAM!... :)

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

My prediction is for generally poor fishing (dont get disheartened yet though!) I Will say no bream but will say that even if the fishing is "poor" by Wingham standards there will be several 8lb+ Tench caught,at least one 4lb + eel, high probability of an accidental 30+ carp and also a good chance of at lest one person getting a good bag of big tench.Cant discount a 3lb Perch as well if people fish for them.

Not good conditions and so not good fishing...........................but hey I'm talking compared to normal Wingham catches in GOOD conditions! I would be pretty confident in saying that there are very few if no other waters (not that us lot could all get on for free any way!) that could yet alone will produce that full stop!

As Mr H says "you got to be in it to win it!"

But lets remember for (and its nice to be able to say this in these days) most of the AN "Old Guard" its a great weekend away meeting up with both old and new friends alike as well as a chance to fish a VERY exclusive water for some very big fish .A chance for you to get a bit of VIP treatment.

Well its 4 in the morning,Ive just got up after an early night and after a few hours work to clear the back orders will be loading up my trailer and making my way over the lake this afternoon. Look forward to seeing you all for breakfast on Saturday morning!

Edited by Dick Dastardly

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!