Wingham Fish-In Sat 18th to Mon 20th May 2013

Steve Burke

gear is all packed. Wife is complaining about all my "junk" in the way in the kitchen - it's nearly time :)

Just got to pick up some maggots, put some petrol in the car, and buy some snacks for me! and I'm ready for the off

I've ordered 6 pints of maggots to be picked up tomorrow evening, reckon that'll be enough for three days ???

Mat

Mat

I find the Wingham Perch, well the bigger ones very frustrating and have not caught as many big ones as I would like. Low light levels caused by cloud etc and a chop on the water can help. However rather unsociably the most consitant time for me for the Perch has been dawn or just before, which involves geting up when its dark and changing baits. That half light just at dawn does seem good for Perch at Wingham but it does mean geting up at stupid o'clock at this time fo year but if you are in a good Perch swim it might be worth the effort. The eels can also be rather active just before dawn, so expect a few bits from them if you are hardy enough for a dawn session.

The reality is that they can come at any time, to those using appropriate baits. Oddly the actual margins around the side of the pit has never really been productive for me for Perch, that could just be swim selection so I would not put any one of fishing them for Perch.

Like Perch everywhere light levels do seem key to Perch fishin at Wingham but have had them in full sun. Steve B is the man to ask about Perch and he should be able to give you pointers on your swim.

I agree dawn and dusk obviously but spots where the light can change in an instant due to objects like tree roots make a difference too.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I've ordered 3 pots of lobs and I'm planning on taking 4-6 pints of maggots. It was going to be 4 but as the weather is going to be that great I'm thinking it's better to take more maggots and use them for any tench fishing rather than the boilie approach I was going to use.

Very sorry indeed to hear that, John. I remember how much Wingham affected you. It's done the same to several others, including Paul (tincatinca).

If you change your mind, I've got some vacancies.

You're also welcome to come on a guest ticket . Temptation, temptation!! :spiteful:

Thanks Steve

Its been torturing me all day.

You may remember I have my own business and I got in early as usual but after reading your last nights posts toyed with temptation.

The work flowed well but then more came and my bookings have gone through the roof. Next week was already full so fishing Monday was not an option so a reduced session was the only hope. Cannot knock being busy as its a difficult time to earn any profit so it has to be done.

I feel truly honoured to be welcomed by you and the members.

I will be fishing somewhere both Friday night and Saturday night with probably most of the day sunday but may have to work Saturday daytime.

I still writing this think can I make it how can I do it where can I get the bait etc.

I think with the weather and what I learn't last year lots of red maggots maybe a few pints of caster and lots of lobs would be the answer.

Thank Steve for letting me dream.

John

gear is all packed. Wife is complaining about all my "junk" in the way in the kitchen - it's nearly time :)

Just got to pick up some maggots, put some petrol in the car, and buy some snacks for me! and I'm ready for the off

I've ordered 6 pints of maggots to be picked up tomorrow evening, reckon that'll be enough for three days ???

Mat

Six pints should be plenty although they will turn pretty quickly when they're left outside all of that time. The BBC forecast looks quite mild now with winds from the south, I might swap my waterproofs for shorts

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I shall be passing close by on Sat and Sunday nights, on my way to Sandwich for the Rays :)

I will give you all a toot and wish you all a good session :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Six pints should be plenty although they will turn pretty quickly when they're left outside all of that time. The BBC forecast looks quite mild now with winds from the south, I might swap my waterproofs for shorts

I've bought a cheap thermal picnic bag and have some ice blocks in the freezer. Hopefully that'll get them to last a little longer!

Mat

Mat

I struggle to use many maggots, maybe a pint per 24hrs, but then I don't feed any, I just use small amounts in feeders/pva bags. Keep them out of the sun and they'll last fine (shouldn't be a problem!) or take what you need each day and leave the rest in a fridge in the clubhouse.

I'm not taking any this session, so no big perch (or eels) for me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I take 4 pints of dead maggots . The rest is worms and then particles. Don'be surprised if you get a Eel on a boilie though. :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon