Wingham Fish-In Sat 18th to Mon 20th May 2013

Steve Burke

ATS I have caught Tench and Eels before in mixed bags and so you can fish for them both at the same time with out much worry of catching one spoiling your chances of the other. It took me a while to come around to the idea of no disturbance if fishing for the Bream, but now days I agree with everything that Anderoo posted about them.

Yup I agree with Dales as well. Yes the disturbance when Breaming makes it a no no and strangely Ive found on several waters that carp dont seem to keen on feeding when eels are in the swim either (allthough this doesnt apply so much to the Carp Lake at Wingham.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

ATS I have caught Tench and Eels before in mixed bags and so you can fish for them both at the same time with out much worry of catching one spoiling your chances of the other. It took me a while to come around to the idea of no disturbance if fishing for the Bream, but now days I agree with everything that Anderoo posted about them.

Yeah I guess I could still use worms for the eels and tench during the day however I kind of want to leave the tench areas alone at night in the hope of a bonus bream though hence trying one rod closer in with lobs and over maggots and pred plus etc. :)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Well car is back on the road, and "only" cost me £130 to do so, so I'll be fishing with anything that swims in mind, maggot feeders with a nice lob on the hook, maybe over some spodded maggots and hemp is the way I'm thinking at the moment.

With maybe a fruity boilie on a method feeder overnight if I start getting too many small eels!

Mat

Mat

ATS I have gone through the whole trying various attraction for the eels and come back to the simple fact that dead maggots is the best attractor. Given a choice of a spending my money on a bottle of pred plus or an extra pint of maggots to kill. I would buy the extra maggots :-)

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

ATS I have gone through the whole trying various attraction for the eels and come back to the simple fact that dead maggots is the best attractor. Given a choice of a spending my money on a bottle of pred plus or an extra pint of maggots to kill. I would buy the extra maggots :-)

Again Im in total agreement.DEAD MAGGOTS are THE eel attractant. On the subject of dead mags heres a great tip I recently learned.

I normally freeze my maggots (after giving them a thorough cleaning and riddling to remove excess amonia,grease and any medium theyve been kept in/used to clean) for a few days to kill them.BUT if no time people often reccomend "scalding" them with boilling water. Never liked this as the boilling water affects them. The "new" tip I recently got was to actually cover them in warm water and then add boilling water untill they are dead.Gives a much better result. Only problem with any of the "water techniques" is its very hard to dry them off after killing and this definately makes them go "sour" quicker.But if times short needs must.

• Like 1

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Again Im in total agreement.DEAD MAGGOTS are THE eel attractant. On the subject of dead mags heres a great tip I recently learned.

I normally freeze my maggots (after giving them a thorough cleaning and riddling to remove excess amonia,grease and any medium theyve been kept in/used to clean) for a few days to kill them.BUT if no time people often reccomend "scalding" them with boilling water. Never liked this as the boilling water affects them. The "new" tip I recently got was to actually cover them in warm water and then add boilling water untill they are dead.Gives a much better result. Only problem with any of the "water techniques" is its very hard to dry them off after killing and this definately makes them go "sour" quicker.But if times short needs must.

I plan to use dead maggots, chopped worm and was just going to bung the pred plus in as added attractant as I have a bottle lying around in the shed that needs using. Was going to bind it with brown crumb to get it out. What about mashed maggots? Sounds rank but that has to be worth a go. I can kill them and just give em a chopping or something on the day when I mix em with the chopped worms.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I think one of the big differences between fishing for the eels and the other species at Wingham is you need to find where you think the Bream, Tench and Perch will be, with the eels I think they will find you to a certain extent if you bait appropriately. So for those wanting to fish for Tench and Eels, I would recommend putting most of your effort in to your Tench fishing. Finding good looking spots, if groundbaiting then think more about what the Tench will like. If using addatives, liquids then think "Tench fishing" rather then eel fishing. Simply adding dead maggots to your mix should ensure if eels are present in your swim, chances are high they will visit your baited spot and you should catch. Eel fishing can be prolific and even very easy at Wingham at times with very little effort, the other species take a little more thought.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

What would people recommend for Perch?

My plan is to fish lob worms and feed a horrible mixture of red maggots, chopped worms, predator plus, tuna fish and browncrumb (the ground bait is just to soak up the liquid from the chopped worms and predator plus and allow me to get it out into the swim) does this seem ok? Is the tuna fish going to help or not because it is not a freshwater fish?

I've never used tuna so can't speak from experience. However as you say with being a sea fish perch may not find it attractive. They just might be repelled by it so I'd leave it out.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've never used tuna so can't speak from experience. However as you say with being a sea fish perch may not find it attractive. They just might be repelled by it so I'd leave it out.

Thanks Steve.