Aqua Pack Camera Bag

glennk

that should read "aqua pack"

Hi Glenn

I only have second-hand experience of the Aqua-pac range, having never owned one, but a couple of friends have used them for cameras, hand-held VHF units and other stuff like passports.

The only problem that I can feed back is that if you seal the pac in a humid or damp atmosphere, they act like a mini-sauna and condensation forms on the inside which can be a death sentence to digital cameras. This could probably be overcome with desiccant gel / granual packs, which draw moisture out and trap it where it will do no harm.

An Aqua pac for your camera looks like it will cost around £80 being that it's an SLR and for that sort of money you could buy one of the waterproof compacts from either Olympus or Pentax. They are so small and light (fit in a jacket pocket) and give good resolution (6 to 8 mega pixs) and can be used down to around 3 metres without any housing or other paraphernalia.

I'm sure that these will have been discussed elsewhere on the anglersnet photography forum, but I know several anglers who have both makes (I've got the Pentax Optio) and they are dead chuffed with them.

Worth considering as an alternative to exposing your SLR to the salty environment?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. I think one of them little anti humidity gel packs would be essential then. My camera isnt quite an slr but is a relatively good camera. I have seen the pics from most waterproof cameras and they are a quality I wouldnt really be happy with. I "think" the large compact bag would work for my camera although I arent 100% certain. As the pics are for my website and I would like to get some quality images I think I will have to risk it. I know there is an other called an ewa bag but they are somewhat pricey at £160 per bag, but if thats what it needs then I would happily go down that line too.

Thanks for the tip about the photography forum, I forgot about them, I will see if anyone there can help.

Cheers - Glenn

I have seen the pics from most waterproof cameras and they are a quality I wouldnt really be happy with.

Hi Glenn

Don't confuse the disposable Kodak holiday jobbies with the Olympus and Pentax digital compacts.

There's a lot to be said for being familiar with your camera and what it can do, so maybe you would be happier sticking with your Panasonic.

My Optio W10 has a lot of very easy to use presets so you can be creative and the macro facility is stunning. I am very happy with the ease of use and convenience. Mine is 6 mega pixel but I think the latest version has 8 mil

02p.jpg

IMGP0574.jpg

ddddddddddd-12.jpg

MarkatPeverill2-1.jpg

Hi Glenn

I paid £99 for my Optio W10 a couple of years ago when the W20 came out and the W10 was being discounted.

The latest incarnation is the W30 and there is a pretty comprehensive review here -

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default...entax+optio+w30

It is fully waterproof to 3 metres for 2 hours / sprayproof / slashproof /dustproof /shockproof (can be dropped onto a hard surface from 4ft without damage).

You may be able to pick up a W20 at a discount if you shop around, but I think the W30 retails at around £125

Thanks Steve,

I looks a match for my lumix and would be cheaper than a water proof case. Only thing is the zoom isnt as good but that neednt be an option. Its certainly something for me to think about.

Glenn, before you decide on a Pentax look at the Olympus range. The problem with the Pentax is that it doesn't have a lens cover. That leads to dirt and smears on the lens that can spoil the photo. It also means that you have to clean the lens more often and that can lead to scratches on the lens if not done carefully.

Also, I would not recommend the type of dry bag you mention. Not only does the bag create moisture & condensation as previously described, but it can also make the camera fog up when you take it out of the bag. You can wait 10 - 20 minutes for it to clear in some cases.

When comparing photos don't forget that web resolution is nothing like print resolution. Most cameras can put out a decent photo on the web, but some struggle to make a decent print. Drop me an e-mail if you want any advice.

Regards, Clive