Coniston Water Lake district

wellyphant

Hi everyone,i'm thinking of doing a bit of camping this next couple of weeks and coniston water in the lake district looks interesting.Has anyone fished it and if so what species does it contain and how would i go about targeting them???Thanks

I hear it holds trout, perch, and pike, but I imagine unless you have a boat it may be difficult to cast out far enough to get among them. The lake is very deep in parts, well over 100 feet, but shallow around the shoreline.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I hear it holds trout, perch, and pike, but I imagine unless you have a boat it may be difficult to cast out far enough to get among them. The lake is very deep in parts, well over 100 feet, but shallow around the shoreline.

in some places this is true a big chuck can be needed depending on the species you are after, although in a few areas deep water can be easily reachable with an underarm chuck

Waht are you after up there? the lake does destroy inadeqate gear so step up line hooklengths etc when you go.

Have a look at this..

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark1968/Site...ews/cumbria.htm you will see that there are Char present too

or google the water and find your way into windermere anglers page.

I last fished it a few weeks ago, we blanked trolling around drop offs using our 13ft boat with fish finder, it looks bleak to me. You have Windermere close by and thats a good Pke water, especially so if you are afloat.

Esthwaite water is very close, a commercial mixed fishery, very nice, a good change of catching lots if a little expensive.

http://www.hawksheadtrout.com/

Hope this helps

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

We spent a weekend at Coniston earlier this month

Here are a couple of shots of the homemade downrigger we used

char004aw0.jpg

char005lw1.jpg

...and here is the charr we caught - just one in three days! ...although No 3 son also had a pike

char002ey9.jpg

We got the charr at 5 feet depth and the pike at fifteen - extensive trolling at all other depths down to 60 feet produced zilch

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Interesting pics, thanks...BTW is that a dead char? ;)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

We spent a weekend at Coniston earlier this month

Here are a couple of shots of the homemade downrigger we used

char004aw0.jpg

char005lw1.jpg

...and here is the charr we caught - just one in three days! ...although No 3 son also had a pike

char002ey9.jpg

We got the charr at 5 feet depth and the pike at fifteen - extensive trolling at all other depths down to 60 feet produced zilch

Vagabond

Did you have any luck with Ferox? Frantic fisherman who posts on here occasionally, sent me a few of his DVD’s where he is catching Ferox Trout in the lakes; Coniston was one of the venues where he was successful. I believe he had them to 8lb, not quite as big as their Scottish cousins but good fish all the same.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

in some places this is true a big chuck can be needed depending on the species you are after, although in a few areas deep water can be easily reachable with an underarm chuck

Waht are you after up there? the lake does destroy inadeqate gear so step up line hooklengths etc when you go.

I was thinking of perch and pike on bait and lures.

Good pike in Conniston but, as people say, very deep.

Went to a PAC evening once hosted by Eric Edwards and he had some great footage & stories of fishing Conniston back in the day ie wading out to a ledge where the water dropped off to 80ft!!!!! Now you wouldn't want to put a foot wrong there!

Edited by Neil G

I remember going there a huge number of years ago, when we stayed on the campsite at Coniston. I was only young at the time, but I remember the massive shoals of minnows in the shallows. I also saw a fish in the margins that was only about six inches long, but trout-like in shape with probably three dark blotches along each side. I did wonder if it was an immature char, but I didn't think they ever came into the margins. All I managed to catch were half pound perch on a spinner, but somebody from a nearby tent had one or two trout on minnow livebaits. Something I will never forget is the dead sheep that was lying in the reeds, and which was pulsating with the eels that had crawled inside it.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.