Why not perch?

Pangolin

I wonder if anyone knows why it is that these commercial carp fisheries tend not to have any perch in them? They all have carp and tench, many have bream, roach and rudd too. The perch is a fine, hard-fighting fish: a predator, but surely not large enough to trouble the stocked fish?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I think its fair to say that many carp fisheries, particularly the long established ones probably do have a fine head of perch, its just that few seriously fish for them. Its the same with trout fisheries, they also tend to have good perch populations. I suspect this is because whilst the carp and trout fishery owners go to great lengths to remove pike, they dont much bother with perch. That leaves the humble perch as the only predator in the water with no competition for available food. Sone of my best stillwater perch have come from carp and trout fisheries.

[ 17. May 2004, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Many commercial venues do have perch in them even if not advertised - or even known to the owner! Often there were a few in a mixed consignment of other fish.

As Argyll said perch often grow big in such waters. They have masses of food available in the form of stunted roach and rudd, yet few anglers fishing for them - like all predators big perch thrive on neglect.

One of the best such waters I fished had only a couple of dozen perch in it, that had originally been swapped with some roach by a pike angler, who obviuosly wasn't very clued-up as he though pike didn't eat perch!

Anyway, the perch grew very quickly, and by the time a friend and I fished it we rarely had a perch of under 2½lbs! John eventually caught a monster of 4-10.

For advice on how to catch perch from commercial venues see my article on just this subject at http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve01.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve,

An excellent article ! To be honest, I'd forgotten that you had posted them when I posted my question about hunting down a particular P.B. Perch that got away from the camera

Perch Thread

Actually reading through the Commercial Fishery Perch article sparked my mind off to what I've been doing differently. On the original trip when I caught the Perch I laid down a bed of fine breadcrumb which clouded up while sinking. This will have attracted a load of small fish and ultimately the big stripey !!! All previous tries have been without crumb and just a load of Maggots and Worms....BINGO !!!

Going again on Thursday night....fingers crossed.

Brilliant Steve....absolutely brilliant...cheers for the advice !!! :)

Tight Lines.

Chris.