Is this the perfect bivvy?

Peter Waller

Wordbender:

No, Budge' - the lazy git won't take 'em out of his pockets, mate.

Not laziness, mate.... Why have a dog and bark yourself?

Serf, go brink me a cold Wifebeater or three! :D:D:D:D

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ginger:

You can't beat a good badinage for a fishing cut or graze!

My other half is seriously dyslexic... seeing the above reminded me that she told me the best dyslexic joke I ever heard:

2 dyslexic men talking to each other, one says 'Can you smell gas?'

The other replied 'Smell gas? I can't even smell my own name!'

[ 10. February 2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Alan Stubbs ]

Yes I see that the loss of feeling could be a problem.I asked as many years ago I was contacted by a guy who although having fished for many years had never been piking.He had lost most of his fingers on his left hand in a industrial injury.He really wanted to have a go at piking but was concerned about his bieng able to handle and unhook them.We got together and eventually came up with an aid that he could grasp in his palm then slip under the gill cover.A mate of his later improved on it by making a rubber moulding to go over it.The one problem was similar to yours ie there was obviously no feeling in it! to overcome the problem of catching the gill rakers etc he would just look very carefully as he inserted his tool ( ooh er best be carefull here) his unhooking tool that is.Never had any problems that I know off.I reckon that with a glove and a bit of care you would be most likely okay.

Next time you are down this way give me a yell and I will arange a days piking if you want and you can see how you get on.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

give me a yell and I will arange a days piking if you want ...

Dear Uncle Budgie,

As a carper, I've no feeling from the neck up and I wondered if you could take me on a day's piking.....

:D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Gladly Terry the only problem is that none of the pike waters I fish allow bivvies and quite frankly the telly reception in the area is crap

I once took a carper piking but he became extremely agrophobic as the water was more than a few acres.Soon overcome this by getting him to wear some blinkers,,this made him feel more at home.He also kept trying to hook my bait poppers on to the trebles with bits of hair :confused: He really enjoyed the day but getting up early for a dawn start left him so tired that he had to go home at dinner time for a lay down.He did catch one though that he named "Toothy".......... :P:D

[ 10. February 2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

BUDGIE:

Gladly Terry the only problem is that none of the pike waters I fish allow bivvies and quite frankly the telly reception in the area is crap

I trust there's an on-site pub and all swims are dugouts?

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

BUDGIE:

Yes I see that the loss of feeling could be a problem.I asked as many years ago I was contacted by a guy who although having fished for many years had never been piking.He had lost most of his fingers on his left hand in a industrial injury.He really wanted to have a go at piking but was concerned about his bieng able to handle and unhook them.We got together and eventually came up with an aid that he could grasp in his palm then slip under the gill cover.A mate of his later improved on it by making a rubber moulding to go over it.The one problem was similar to yours ie there was obviously no feeling in it! to overcome the problem of catching the gill rakers etc he would just look very carefully as he inserted his tool ( ooh er best be carefull here) his unhooking tool that is.Never had any problems that I know off.I reckon that with a glove and a bit of care you would be most likely okay.

Next time you are down this way give me a yell and I will arange a days piking if you want and you can see how you get on.

Thanks, Budgie.... most definitely a date - even if it is to be arranged! I am not just wary of damaging the fish, I am also wary of unhooking as I don't have the greatest dexterity. Leon positively winces when he sees me tying knots!

Maybe I should rephrase that!

Getting back to Peters origonal post,how about one of those Victorian bathing machines? I reckon they would be the dogs on a comercial.Just reverse in to your peg and off you go!A bit like The Wandering Gypsy" meets one of Newts ice fishing shantys :D

I will try and find the photo I took whilst out in Khazakstan catting.They had these mobile boat sheds (for the lack of a better description!) you could fit three or four 16' boats in them and they could be towed up and down the bank as the water level dictated as well ass along it.Ultimate mobile bivvy! even sheltered your swim! :)