Surface fishing trouble

chrislee342

I was surface fishing the canal on the weekend gone but I was having a bit of trouble.

I found that when i cast my bait close to the far bank it would slowly drift back over to the side I was standing. I found this to be due to the line lay across the water and the slight tow that the canal has was causing this to happen.

What is the best way to combat this?

I was fishing the usual way I would surface fish with a controller float onto a suitable hook length for the situation. I use this on still waters with good success but as there is no tow on the still water I like to fish, I haven't had this problem before.

All help is appreciated. :thumbs:

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

Simply keep the line off the water surface Chris! Reletively easily done on most cannals with them not being wide.Lots of variations on the "Beachcaster Rig".

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Simply keep the line off the water surface Chris! Reletively easily done on most cannals with them not being wide.Lots of variations on the "Beachcaster Rig".

I was trying to keep the line off the water but even by me trying to do this it was pulling the rig towards me. I have not tried the Beachcaster rig out so will have to give it a try.

Guest 1lastcast

I take it there is no way to access and fish from the far bank?

That was going to be my suggestion, stalk 'em!!

Or wait for the wind to swing around 180 degrees :fishing1:

Edited by 1lastcast

change your controller float out for a weighted or normal waggler;

set the hooklength up a lot longer than you would with the controller....or simply give yourself plenty of distance between the hook and the float. weight the float to cock as you wish; but keep all the weight right up under the float NO drop shots at all!

overcast the location you wish to fish; then lower your rod tip into the water and reel back to sink as much line as you can.

if you've left enough line between your float and bait then you will still be fishing floating bait but you will also be able to sink your line.

I use this method all the time on still waters if the wind is too harsh for a controller.

like I say; just keep a good distance between your waggler and your hook and your floating bait will happily float

How deep is the far shelf on the canal Chris? If it's less than a couple of feet then a small running leger, with the hook length deeper will keep it there.

Is there a weed bed to cast to? If so then cast so your controller lands on the weed and your hookbait floats at the side of the weed.

One swim on my local 'cut' had a willow tree with a handy trailing branch. I used to cast over that, when I got a bite I could just strike it off.

As said, the best way would be to fish from the other bank if possible though.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I take it there is no way to access and fish from the far bank?

No getting to the far bank is not possible on this stretch of the cut so is not an option.

I like the ideas that Kirisute and Gozzer have mentioned. I think I will give both of those a go and see which one I'm more comfortable with. Hopefully all will go to plan!

Thanks for all the input guys!