Wingham Fish-In Catch Reports 2013

Steve Burke

Nice one Steve, bet that felt good in the landing net ;)

Yes, it felt good but the goodness is gradually fading away at the thought of being stuck in the car with that net on the drive home. Only a Breamed net smells worse.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Yes, it felt good but the goodness is gradually fading away at the thought of being stuck in the car with that net on the drive home. Only a Breamed net smells worse.

ahh yes, that wonderful aroma of eeliness wafting through from the back of the car to tickle your nasal cavity :yucky:

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Has Rusty stopped eating yet? cracking Tench.

Just got back,

Many thanks to Steve, Peggy, Glynn, Terry and everyone else who made it such an enjoyable blank. Congratulations to Errrm on the 10-02 and Maddog for figuring out how to catch several tench. More thanks to Paul for the bivvy loan and Andrew Burgess for the bedchair

This was hard work for me, any other venue and I would've called it a day early, I don't think I'd make a very good speci hunter. I was optimistic Saturday morning, the conditions looked and felt quite good but by Sunday morning I had the distinct feeling that I wasn't going to catch anything. My one 'success' was a coot, it was a screaming run at 4:00am so I wasn't really with it and the fun really started when I tried to land the bloody thing. By Sunday lunchtime I was flagging so [in answer to JV44's question] I went off to the Haywain pub for a Sunday roast followed by treacle sponge and custard, all washed down with a rather nice Merlot.

The rain came Sunday night and that finished me off I'm afraid, I was planning to leave at noon but there was no break in the cloud so I packed up and left at half eight..........everything got soaked.

Hopefully I'll see you next year.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well I'm safely back home, huge pile of wet muddy tackle and clothes on the kitchen floor to sort out "later" Nice hot bath made me feel a bit better!

My worst showing yet at Wingham - one eel of exactly two pounds on a lobworm / maggot feeder.

Wish I'd known you were heading to the pub Rusty, might have joined you :)

As usual many thanks to Steve for letting a noddy like me loose on his fishery, and to Peggy for feeding me while I was busy not catching anything.

Mat

Mat

Many thanks Steve for giving me another go for the eels on the Carp lake and many thanks to Peggy for the wonderful BBQ's and the bailifs Terry, Glyn & Budgie plus team Groombridge for all the work that goes in to preparing and running the event. A staggering amount of work goes in to ensuring the place is ready an dthat everything goes smoothly over the weekend.

Now to the fishing, on Saturday I had the almost mandatory Wingham Pike during the day but just a Jack of around 2 1/2 lbs. The eel fishing that night was a little slow, I missed a run but managed to hit the next one and landed an eel of around 2 1/2 lbs. Which was a little disappointing as they tend to be of a decent size on the Carp lake.

Sunday night was more successful with a cracking eel of 4 lb 2 oz before the rain set in. I had a further eel of 3 lb 13 oz during the down pour and got drenched, especially as I run out of my bivy in my socks. That was it for the night, but I was pleased with my catch and decided to pack up early Monday morning during a brief break in the rain and headed back to club house for plenty of cups of coffee and a natter and to wait for Peggy to do her magic with the BBQ. Packing up early seemed a good idea as it lashed it down not long after I was settled in to the club house with a hot cuppa.

As usual a well run event but even the best planing cant change the weather, it was good to meet up with other forum members and hope that those who stayed on to fish the afternoon got a late bonus fish.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I shouldn't really be replying to this as I wasn't there.

But I was in mind. I thought about you all this weekend.

I have to say the fishing in Suffolk has been poor as well. I have spoken to several others including match anglers and every where was poor this weekend other than the well stocked venues.

Looking at the vegetation between swims its normally 4ft high by now but the nettles are still ankle grabbers. I spotted a few tench fizzing but only caught a few bream and roach. There is another forum member that thought about applying and reckons next year we might both apply. If he is still my friend (and me being a grumpy old git its not certain) then we might both be lucky and come.

A few I have spoken too are looking forward to the rivers opening but not so sure they will start very well.

Well done to those who caught and probably more espescially to those that did not but stuck it.

John

I feel really privileged to have secured a place this year and would urge anyone who has concerns about the style of fishing and wether their style will suit or not,book next year and talk to the guys, they are so helpful and full of sound advice,you wont know until you give it a go.

Thank you Steve, Peggy,Terry,Glyn, Budgie,the families of the Baliffs,Anderoo and anyone I have forgotten who talked me thru my swim or helped with the ferrying of tackle and food etc etc.

Apologies to Steve for not making the most of a great swim but there is always next year.?

I feel really privileged to have secured a place this year and would urge anyone who has concerns about the style of fishing and wether their style will suit or not,book next year and talk to the guys, they are so helpful and full of sound advice,you wont know until you give it a go.

Thank you Steve, Peggy,Terry,Glyn, Budgie,the families of the Baliffs,Anderoo and anyone I have forgotten who talked me thru my swim or helped with the ferrying of tackle and food etc etc.

Apologies to Steve for not making the most of a great swim but there is always next year.?

I reckon you did make the most of the swim - if it wasn't for some bad luck (and that certainly wasn't your fault, there's nothing you could have done about it) it might have been different. Next time ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It started raining soon after midnight and it rained for much of the day. Couple this with a maximum temperature of just 12C (54F) and a N wind, thankfully mainly light, and you have the recipe for a struggle. That's exactly what we got - in fact this has been by far the worst Wingham Fish-In for many years. As John Weddup pointed out above, it wasn't just Wingham that fished poorly. However we really feel sorry for guests - we can fish anytime, you've got to wait until next year.

In the past we'd got used to year after year of personal bests and had come to expect good fishing. Now we've just had our come-uppance!

Having said that 1 angler, Maddog, bucked the trend and landed 7 tench. He had males of 4-05 and 5-12, plus females of 6-11, 6-13, 7-04, 7-11 and 8-02. Well done, Colin!

And of course Errmm had a very big PB 10-02 tench and a grin as big! I'll post pictures tomorrow - I'm shattered now.

On the Carp Lake 5 eels were caught last night but all of a good size. Dales had eels of 3-13 and 4-02, Andrew Burgess had 2 around 3lbs plus a specimen of 4-03.

On the Main Lake Cliff63 had the best eel, a 3-06 that's a new PB.

KAYC was very unlucky as he almost certainly hooked a big bream on the first night only to lose it in a tangle of some carp angler's old line. He did all the right things after he hooked the bream and lost it through no fault of his own. Bad luck, Kevin!

Here's the provisional scorecard, that I'll update if need be:

Main Lake

Errmm - 10-02 PB tench

Cliff63 - 6-09 tench, 3-06 PB eel

Anthony78 - 4-06 and 5-12 tench

Maddog - male tench of 4-05 & 5-12, female tench of 6-11, 6-13, 7-04, 7-11 and 8-02

3DoorsDown - 2 jacks

JK - 6-04 tench and a jack

Lenx - 2-04 eel

Sharkbyte - 2 eels of about 1 to 1 1/2lbs + a jack

Russ McCulley - a jack

Addicted to Scopex - 5 pike, 1 of 8lbs and 4 jacks

Mat Hillman - an eel of about 2lbs

Dave H - 2-06 eel & 8-03 pike

Slippery - 2 pike 8-9lbs

Carp Lake

Andrew Burgess - 4-03 eel plus another 2 of around 3lbs

Dales - eels of 3-13 and 4-02

Steve White - pike of 8lbs and 14lbs

Interestingly, nearly all the tench came in the afternoon, something that's very unusual at Wingham.

One change we discussed at lunchtime today is that we skip the Saturday BBQ and have BBQs just on the Sunday and Monday. This will mean that staff and I can help more guests with finding hot spots in the swims etc. At present no sooner than we've dropped all the guests off we have to start picking them for the BBQ.

Any comments on this idea?

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I don't think the fishing has been so tropical anywhere this last week or so, so it was no surprise to see that the fish-in was a bit quiet.

Steve you could skip the BBQ or maybe have at teatime...or would that be unsuitable for Peggy and your wingham crew ?...just a thought.

Edited by Tigger