Wingham Fish-In Catch Reports 2013

Steve Burke

I was fishing a club gravel pit at the weekend, lots of tench in my swim in the morning rolling. Not one took my bait though.

Coincidentally there's a lot of snail activity in that lake at present, now where have I seen that before......

In my limited experience of Wingham i may actually have a slightly improved fishing advantage i feel now. The older members are sticking to the methods as in swims and times of feeding etc. I never fished then so i started in a year when things changed maybe due to the weed or other factors i dont know but considering it does now seem to be a 2nd consecutive year of change i am making my own way a bit more now and dont have any inclinations of following others from previous years. After all its hard to change from 10+ years of knowing where and when to fish. When i first fished Wingham i fished the first few popular swims i was told that were productive. It was a kind thing to do but i found it didnt produce. I thought i was doing something wrong but i have been fishing all my life and i found my spots in the swims but they never produced. I think a few were surprised i didnt and thought well he isnt that good its easy to catch there. Well last year it was all change but nobody was to know that yet. As the season progressed old anglers started to not catch from these popular swims either this i must admit made me feel better as it was not just me. I had picked my first year that was also the first year of change. Indeed Budgie said that i had joined in Winghams first really bad season. I saw that as a negative until this year as i am bringing my own swims (which are hardly fished) more into play this year and its working although not on the numbers others will think but perhaps they have to accept change now where for me this is all i have ever known. Much easier for me to accept.

IMO and again its a shortened one without any past to go on is that all fish go in every swim and i believe that location is huge but you dont have to move you just have to move your bait in THAT swim.

I have spent at least 4 hours in a new swim finding out what the topography is. If i have no luck i go again in the same swim and try again and again. If like all of us we have only 2 nights i cant see the point in moving. Your ground bait is out but if you dont catch within 24 hours you up all your gear for just 12 hours? I am sure it has worked but i bet not much.

Thats why i believe just move you bait in the swim foot by foot. The amount of times i hear that only 1 rod is producing and yet you might have another two 6 ft away. There was a spot i found in my first year and mentioned it to a bailiff and he said how did you know about that and i said i plummeted it. His face was a picture as this spot was about one foot square miss it and you blank. Get it and your chances increase 3 fold. It took me 4 hours to find that and within 1 hours i had 2 tench and a good sized perch out of it. Every swim i have fished has different depths. Maybe a few are on just the deeper all round but just a couple others may seem deep but they shallow up just for a fraction or drop off for a foot section so find them as they will be swimming at a certain hight so change depths too.

Again my opinion i think many of you are stuck in the past and need now to change tactics. I am just an average angler and many of you are much better than me but i think locations may have changed.

I recently caught many tench between 4pm-7pm and not a whiff any other time now that goes totally against the grain.

Lastly dont think i am experienced at Wingham as i am not and dont think i am only blowing my trumpet as i am not i am just giving a view but i am raking in much more fish from their reports i hear tench and Carp. I may not know others but thats fishing

And if you are waiting for a warm spell forget it. I believe you just have to go and hope it clears up.

ATVB

Dave.

Pure comedy gold! Great post Dave!

Rich

I don't understand Richard perhaps you could elaborate in my limited experience of 2 years at Wingham :)

Did i mention my 2nd year at Wingham. I hope it was clear . :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

I better edit this again .....Damn !

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Apology is accepted Andrew i have accepted and given out many myself over time :)

The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist Andrew ;)

ATVB

This year i had two carp of 22lb and 24lb and a lost at the net of another same size a few good eels (well for me) and an average Perch from Thursday afternoon to a Saturday afternoon.

The Tench have not really showed much this year yet i think we are all waiting for the explosion but i had 5 Tench in one afternoon. But that's me .....

I didn't apologise...?

Wayne, I'd agree with Rich, it's hard to generalise but in terms of numbers, in the spring, a 'normal' session of 2-3 days would be about a dozen tench I guess. A poor session less. A good session 20+, a very good session 30+. Usually a few 8lbers in there, occasionally a 9.

It can switch on or off very quickly with a change in conditions though. Total blanks are not unheard of, I've had a few :)

BTW don't forget our conversation about the chub, you and Russ are very welcome to visit this winter and I'll show you round the Thames.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sorry Andrew it was Richard that apologised. I always seem to confuse the two of you? Sorry about that :)

I think your estimation would be a fair assumption. Maybe not quite so this year?

How many did you catch at the fish in?

Edited by Dave H