Plans for the new river season

Anderoo

Matt best wishes to your dad hope you have a great day and 90 good innings with a lot more to come I hope,Think I told you my Granny made a couple of months short of 104 and her birthday was December 25th.....103 years of all your presents on one day she used to moan about that lol Steve

Good innings indeed - thanks! 103 though is a lot of presents! M

I've been doing a bit of perch fishing with lures too Dave, although I've not done as well as you. I'd be interested in which lures you're using and how you're fishing them (I don't want to know where you've been catching!). Also what time of year and what time of day you've found best - it's possible I've just not been fishing at the right time for them.

Fishing the little soft paddletail shads on little jigheads and light gear is just fantastic fun though, I love it. I've found that a steady wind to raise the lure in the water, followed by letting it drop on a tight line, is what they usually like, with almost all takes as it's dropping. Does that tally with you?

I've tried dropshotting but haven't found it as effective.

Congrats on the chub too, that's a big fish. I haven't fished the Cherwell for a few years now, the Thames has got under my skin. I had several very memorable winters fishing there with a friend though, it's a lovely little river. I really must revisit it soon :)

If the Thames is still looking dodgy at the start of the season I think I'll spend some time trotting the little tributaries. Maybe I can find those nice dace again...

Hello. Sorry I've not looked in for a week. Its only 48 hours to the inevitable anti-climax of the glorious 16th and I can't wait.

Perch luring-wise I've been very conventional and caught more perch on 2-3" shads on jigheads than anything else (you can probably guess which shads ;) ). I tend to just lob them in to anywhere you can find a bit of relatively slack water & hop or crawl them back along the bottom at varying speeds depending on how cold it is with most hits coming, as you say, in the first hop or two. Apart from the jigs, little spinners and various dinky crankbaits cover the other angles pretty well with a few bonus chub and pike coming on any of them. It's such a fun way to fish with hardly any tackle to carry so you can really cover a lot of water or just have short opportunist sessions with the gear in the car the whole time.

I couldn't really comment on the time of year that is best as last season was so wet and not typical but I caught perch fairly slowly the whole time from late July when I started on perch through to January when I went on to chub. I did have a couple weeks of the most incredible perch fishing I've ever known in late autumn when I found a spot where the little bleak etc were shoaled up out of the flow and the perch were going absolutely berserk on them and didn't stop until they were gone or the perch themselves were eaten by some naughty chinese people.

If I was only allowed one hour a day to catch a perch then I'd always take the first or last hour of daylight every time.

I'll be perch-luring on the 16th with the Lure Anglers Society above Oxford. I hope its not going to be another opening day algae brownout.

Good luck to everybody on the rivers this season and don't fall in.

I think it's going to be OK in the SE. It's going to rain - that's for certain - but I don't think it will be more than 1 or 2mm and this won't mess up the rivers too much. It will then be light rain ion and off for the next couple of days so at least the barometer will stay down, it's been up and down like a brides nightie recently. A sudden low will put them off for certain, a sustained low should make things better. As it stands it may rain Saturday night anyway.

I am going surface fishing and free-lining for chub for an hour or two on Sunday on a small river near me. Kennet Monday, Loddon Tuesday and maybe Kennet again Wednesday!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

The morning looks the best bet so I am going to get up very early and call it a day if/when the proper rain starts. Dawn on the 16th of June, at a pretty, clear, fast flowing stream with an Avon float and centrepin...heaven :)

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The morning looks the best bet so I am going to get up very early and call it a day if/when the proper rain starts. Dawn on the 16th of June, at a pretty, clear, fast flowing stream with an Avon float and centrepin...heaven :)

or on ten mile bank river ouse with 2 feeder rods or a slider setup. A few miles short of Denver sluice.

John

or on ten mile bank river ouse with 2 feeder rods or a slider setup. A few miles short of Denver sluice.

John

Also good! That's a bit of water I know quite well, although I haven't fished there for absolutely ages now. Hope you have a good day there John, it would be nice to see a few pics if you take any.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well after taking a years sabatical.

Rod license and club book brought and I'll be on the ouse targetting the chub or anything else that fancies my bait.

Just my float rod and a few pints of maggots and catch what i can.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Absolutely, sounds like bliss. It looks like rain won't start until 4pm, so no rush to get to the banks too early. I'm going to do something similar I think, but I will start with trotting and then go to free-lining/surface fishing as it warms up.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Yes, thankfully the forecast has improved a lot, so it will be a morning's trotting followed by a break, and then meet up with rich in the afternoon for something else (tbd!).

Really excited now, since the end of last season I've only had one evening trout fishing at farmoor and 1 day at the wingham fish in, and blanked both times!

I had a look at one tributary this morning, and surprisingly it looked very low.