Plans for the new river season

Anderoo

I’ve had a plan for a while now and every year I say I will do it. I want to get a chub from each of the rivers I have access to in my local area in one day, starting with the smallest to the largest, I could do it the other way around but starting with the smallest makes more sense somehow. Ideally this would be journey downstream from smallest tributary to the Thames, but instead of sticking with the Kennet (I have no access to the River Enborne – well not yet anyway) I could throw in the Loddon as an extra challenge.

My proposal would be a chub of at least 2lbs in one day from:

River Whitewater, River Blackwater, River Loddon, River Kennet and Thames.

No I’m not doing it on opening day but it would be a great achievement.

Mike

That sounds like quite a challenge Mike, would be pretty impressive if you pulled it off!

A 3lb plus chub and a double figure barbel in the opening week is a target I've thought of, the venue I have in mind holds my pb chub of 4 1/2lb and my barbel pb of 11lb 15 so it more than achievable. Need to go and walk the stretch and see how much its changed. Getting real itchy feet now cannot wait to get out there!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Anderoo ironically that Algae bloom had started to slowly drop out round here and was looking good but as often this happens only to be re infected if you like by upstreram bits ....please keep it up there

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

The Thames around Oxford is suddenly brown and static... Bugger.

We get the bloom on the Dorset Stour this time of year. It doesn't do the fishing any good but is normally gone by the end of June unless there is a flood which flushes it out. At present the Stour isn't too bad but does have a green tinge.

The Thames around Oxford is suddenly brown and static... Bugger.

Not again!

I think my focus this year will be a continuation of last season. Perch on lures. Having had a couple big hits in late 2012 and finally got a weighed 3lb perch in Feb I'm going all out for a 4lb fish this season. I cant understand why a 3lb one took me so long as I've had dozens of 2.5lb plus fish.

My previous 6lb chub target was achieved with a great 6lb-9 from the Cherwell in February so I guess its 7lb target now. That should take a few years!

I've been doing a bit of perch fishing with lures too Dave, although I've not done as well as you. I'd be interested in which lures you're using and how you're fishing them (I don't want to know where you've been catching!). Also what time of year and what time of day you've found best - it's possible I've just not been fishing at the right time for them.

Fishing the little soft paddletail shads on little jigheads and light gear is just fantastic fun though, I love it. I've found that a steady wind to raise the lure in the water, followed by letting it drop on a tight line, is what they usually like, with almost all takes as it's dropping. Does that tally with you?

I've tried dropshotting but haven't found it as effective.

Congrats on the chub too, that's a big fish. I haven't fished the Cherwell for a few years now, the Thames has got under my skin. I had several very memorable winters fishing there with a friend though, it's a lovely little river. I really must revisit it soon :)

If the Thames is still looking dodgy at the start of the season I think I'll spend some time trotting the little tributaries. Maybe I can find those nice dace again...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nice challenge Mike - but I think the main problem would be the Thames to be honest. M

Yes I agree, and the Loddon is tricky these days too. Mind you, there is a section of the Thames I can walk to from my house where I've seen them basking under the trees on the far bank which has no access. I've seen them when I've been out in my canoe. I could paddle over to them....

As regards the algae, I noticed that starting last week in the Lower Kennet. It doesn't look too bad though. Where I'm planning on going the water will be too quick for it to make much difference.

Mike

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Yes I agree, and the Loddon is tricky these days too. Mind you, there is a section of the Thames I can walk to from my house where I've seen them basking under the trees on the far bank which has no access. I've seen them when I've been out in my canoe. I could paddle over to them....

As regards the algae, I noticed that starting last week in the Lower Kennet. It doesn't look too bad though. Where I'm planning on going the water will be too quick for it to make much difference.

Mike

Mike

I know the bit you mean I think beware the pirate barge upstream they will lure you in with questions of how to look after a certain plant with a definitive whiff once they know your background....step ashore near that commune and you will never be seen again lol .

Didn`t realise you had a canoe Mike fancy meeting up there for a paddle and fish one evening once the season starts??

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Yes I have a Canadian Canoe - I've had it for years. Don't get out on it much, in fact - I don't think I've used it for over a year. Too much time commuting working and cycling.

However your offer sounds good but gawd knows when I can fit a trip in and my roof rack needs sorting before I can take it anywhere other than walking it to the river.

You are correct - it is that stretch and I will keep clear of the abandoned barge!

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."