MRI Scans?

Chris Goddard

Anyone have real knowledge please about the type of MRI scanner we see in Europe (Well UK and France anyway!) where the table is fed through a tunnel and the scanner makes a loud noise and is pretty claustrophobic! Luckily I am not eh?

Reason I ask is that my Consultant here in France is I fear taken to telling lies (And BIGGUNS too!) and I am trying to get a case built about him for this reason. Number one is he TOLD my GP who has NO IDEA what these machines do (He is NEARLY as Old as you I think Newt? Hope you are well Old Friend?) And this chap told my GP that I could as I had problems lying down (Herniated disc at L4/L5) that I could in fact lay either on one side OR on my stomach??

The actual LIE came about as this consultatnt sent me a letter to say he was very sorry as he had been trying for 3 months to get another appointment after failing the last one! truth is it appears that the receptionist at the MRI scanner unit who has worked there for the last six years since the scanner was opened had been at the desk apart from holidays. And she had NOT been on holiday or off sick since last year and when she is away the desk is always covered. Reason for such detail is to give as much info as possible to make up your mind, just the way I am??!! Anal? MAYBE BUT I AM NOT ABOUT TO ALTER WHILE MY ASS PONTS POINTS DOWN am I?!

Anyway so my wife who has NO command of the French Language! Blimey she struggles with English sometimes??? :-) She spoke to the receptionist for ALL of 3 to 4 minutes and managed to get out of her chapter and verse about the Consultant! He was a (As we say a FUNNY BUGGER!) and had certainly NOT asked for any appointment for a M.Goddard since the last appointment, she also remembered I could not lie down as well! BUT did manage to get over that there was ALSO an Aneasthatist who was on call just for such an occasion. Not being able to lie and panicking about the size and noise. Something else Mr Consultant was UNABLE to sort out anasthesia for me?? Surely had he SPOKEN to the MRI department then he would have known this?? But anyway the lady on reception ,made me ANOTHER appointment for the following Friday. less than 5 days! (Rang Monday at 11AM.)

So:-

A. Do you know IF you can only lay down on your back for an MRI (Not like the stand up ones in the USA!)

And :-

B. Are you of the opinion that this pillock is really a Consultant? (seems to be having met him now!!) And do you think he is lying??

I need to get this over to his Boss who is a Proffessor!! And DOES seem to at least be honest. well this "CONSULTANT" said I could NOT have my operation at HIS hospital! Seems his proffessor sees things differently! I have made my mind up as has anyone who knows about this but just interested as usual if anyone has a DIFFERENT point of view?

Thanks

Chris

PS Just emptied letter box and I DO have an appointment WITH the Professor! AND he apologised as he was so busy (And HE was apologising to ME?) And he was covering several Lectures all over the world! He did not name drop, but then he wouldn't would he??!! But he would be VERY pleased to see me the 24th of July and operate within the week! Seems the man HAS my ear!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

you concentrate on getting your back better my mate. :thumbs: don't worry about them, he did this and they said that. looks like your gonna be sorted.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

OH AYE!! I always thought we got along?? Yet NOW you are going to "Sort me out"???? :-)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

OH AYE!! I always thought we got along?? Yet NOW you are going to "Sort me out"???? :-)

calm down dear, I said it looks like they are going to sort you out, i.e. fix your back .don't take it out on me.

quote: But he would be VERY pleased to see me the 24th of July and operate within the week! Seems the man HAS my ear!

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I'm pretty sure I've read reports of people being scanned in all manner of positions - but of course it will depend on what sort of imagery is required.

Mine was the bog standard lie back and enjoy !

Although the orthopaedic/neuro surgeon who is dealing with your condition is man chappie that you will see, there will usually be a radiographer who will work out the best way to get the required information and interpret the data. This might be the best person to have a chat with - but don't assume that the radiographer and the technician doing the MRI are one and the same person.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

My wife has a problem lying on her back so it creates difficulties with MRI scans. At one hospital they refused to give her a scan, but at another it was no problem and the scan was done with her on her stomache.

I get the impression its down to the hospital and the standard of the tech's operating the MRI.

Chris - it sounds like you really need to just ditch this "consultant" for someone competent if that would be possible. MRIs take "slice" photos as they move down the body so while one body position might not be ideal for visualizing certain body parts, it can certainly be done so they surely can accommodate you somehow.

If its a matter of some positions causing you pain but no damage, they should certainly be able to give you gas or drugs that will deal with that so you could stand on your head if needed (and if you were ever able to stand on your head). I know they have good ones available because every couple of years they manage to allow me to tolerate an object about the size of a medium log put into a place where I'm only used to things going out. From what I'm told I'm able to converse with them during the procedure but I have absolutely no memory of doing that or of any bits of discomfort during the procedure and I'm ready to walk out and head home after an hour or so.

I really think your current consultant is blowing smoke up your arse to cover up the fact that he isn't very good at what he does or doesn't want to deal with you for some reason.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thinking about it if its a scan of your spine the best place would be on your back where its pinned against the board

If you laid on your stomach then breathing would move your spine even i presume holding your breath would work but i guess even your heart beating would move your spine more than would allow for a clean picture?

On the other hand if your in any other position than on your back could confuse the tech on basic wage who looks at them to decide if theres anything amiss?

I remember on my mrs first mri the first time the consultant saw the scans was on her 6 month appraisal so i guess (at least at the royal surrey) the owner of the scanner techs decides if theres a problem?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thinking about it if its a scan of your spine the best place would be on your back where its pinned against the board

If you laid on your stomach then breathing would move your spine even i presume holding your breath would work but i guess even your heart beating would move your spine more than would allow for a clean picture?

I think chesters has it. You have to keep still during a scan, and lying on your stomach makes this almost impossible. My daughter's a Radiotherapist, and I'll check with her later.

There are new upright scanners, that will scan you standing or sitting, but there are not many around yet.

When I had my first one, it was stressed that I keep very still. They allowed 20 mins for the scan, and I was done in less than 10. The guy said it was because I'd kept still, and the extra allowed time was for resets after the patient had moved.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John