Technology gone to far?

Peter Waller

chesters1 - nope. I only use that sort of gas to power my cooker but it does save on having to buy so much bottled gas.

Lee - fly into the US via New York, let her shop for a day or so, head south to NC. Charlotte isn't New York (whew!! for that) but the mall where BassPro is located should keep her busy for a bit and we could fish for several days after you spent a day shopping BassPro. My truck will hold several tons of cargo in the back so no problems if you went a little crazy buying tackle.

You can fly direct from the Int. airport in Charlotte to several UK destinations.

My local - starting on the river above High Rock Lake (the top lake of a series of 4) and moving down the lake:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That should keep us busy for a couple of days but there are 3 more lakes below it and then back to river.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Badin (lower picture) holds some nice Blue Catfish to around 90 lbs and in summer time they like to hold in about 40-70 feet of water near the lower dam. Fun stuff. Early morning start and use a cast net to catch a bucket of shad for use as cut bait then off to chase the cats.

The Yadkin River above High Rock is about a 40 minute drive from my house and Badin is about a 20 minute drive.

[ 09. March 2005, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've gone right off you Newt :D Just one or two of those itsy bitsy bits up some of the side creeks(?) would do me.

How do you sleep at night?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den - sometimes I don't sleep real well. Most times I resent the fact that I have to work to support my fishing habit.

Errr - "I've gone right off you Newt"? That one went right over my head. In English?

I like the smaller creeks as well during spring and fall when the water temps are reasonable. With these lakes being impounded and lots of the original land flooded, the creeks mostly don't flow unless we have lots of rain so the water heats up in summer past the point where fish hang around and continue to feed.

Spring & fall I spend some time fishing Riles Creek. A little tricky getting in due to the shallows but there is a channel.

Posted Image

Here is detail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I often fish there with my wife and her PB carp of about 13.5lbs came from this area last fall. You can fish it from the shore but getting there is a little tough. Easier to go in by boat and for still-fishing, just run the boat aground in the mud and fish.

Randy - I'm in Concord and our city limits touch Charlotte. However, I'm on the opposite side from Lake Norman and with the amount of available water I can get to without fighting road traffic (or boat traffic in warmer weather) I haven't been on Norman at all.

Next time you will be passing through, give me a shout. I'm just a little ways off I-85. We could meet at BassPro if you were in the mood for some shopping or there are bunches of great eating places around there.

Posted Image

Newt, "I've gone right off you"....friendly type remark used in this instance to imply that you have got me jealous. Also used in a similar way "you can go off people you know"

I have never had the urge to fish abroad much, but I think I could get interested in your style of fishing :D:D

Den

[ 10. March 2005, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Thanks Den. Got it and have added another phrase to the list of those that don't confuse me. :D

The fishing is fun and I think, just a tiny bit different than UK coarse fishing.

Thank goodness for echo sounders though. I can remember how long it took to 'learn' a new lake years ago when all you could do is guess what conditions were like under the boat.

When can I expect you? April & May & maybe June are nice since the water is warm enough to get the fish moving and the air isn't hot enough to melt a Brit. Otherwise, late September thru November are good.

Posted Image