Technology gone to far?

Peter Waller

He was a pre WWII angler. Grew up fishing with the basics, & took pre war match fishing to a whole new level, & lived on bread 'n jam. Not alot to spend on tackle.

Old Skool & much respect :)

Oh, & i'm a bit tipsy, been sniffing the sherry cork

[ 03. March 2005, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Bish ]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benny Ashurst was at the front when it came to using "modern technology" mate! He even invented/developed some "modern technology" himself! modern for his time that is of course! :P All top anglers of any time use the most up to date methods and gear they can lay their hands on especially match anglers.

Used a "basic"/"traditional"/"humble" arsley bomb the other day to ledger with.....wasnt so basic/traditional or humble when Dick Walker first came up with it! and the same could be said for floats developed by Billy Lane or casting techniques by Les Moncrief.And guess what..they will be saying the same about Dell Romag and his Optonic bite alarm and Lenny Middletons hair rig in another 25 years time!

See my point? :)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

Now thats what I call Real Tree tackle!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D:D compare to modern tackle I have spent over afew years :D

[ 03. March 2005, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Burgess ]

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Peter Waller:

In this shot a bloke is using nothing more than extreme basics to go fishing with.

One can go further and make even the reel from scratch.

In my youth I had no money, no tackle, parents who were against fishing, and there was a war on.

If I wanted to fish, I had to make my own tackle - and conceal the tackle in a holly bush before I went home.

Caught plenty of fish that way.

A few years back, just to demonstrate it can still be done, I got a primary school kid to make up the tackle below - to the same design as the one I made at nine years old.

This replica also caught fish - tench up to 5lb 6oz, Carp up to 10 lb

Posted Image

[ 03. March 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

i thought i'd relive my "yoof" last year ,i coupled a hardy altex with a taperflash and settled down remembering the early sixties (i didnt have a hardy then) line tangles ,knots and loops hanging out of the spool ,i must have been a average angler with those problems.

but bugger me within an hour i had to cut the line and knot it back together and i started on the downward slope to loops and tangles :rolleyes:

i hadent been me all those years ago it was the tackle on another trip with the appollo and a supreme i had no problems ,thank you mr morritt for inventing real reels :D

i'm no tackle tart i still use my ABU506 bought in the seventies and a PDQ 14ft rod every trip ,a day with aN intrepid float rod and supertwin brought great satsfaction i cannot see why they were ridiculed on the bank :confused:

i had missed the intrepids in the race to go the mitchell way to keep up with the times a mitchell match with a sealy blue match a great duo

[ 03. March 2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The reality is, anything that rolls back the years to those halcyon days of our youth will be viewed with great affection & rightly so.

Lets be honest, as much as we love our fishing now, can anything really compare to that genuine mystery & magic of catching fish in those formative years. Associations made at that time are going to be very fondly remembered. So powerful are these links with the past, that I can truthfully say I enjoy my occasional Gudgeon matches with old friends every bit as much as when we go Carping, Catfishing Barbelling etc & very grateful I am for that as well.

Budgie's spot on though, cutting edge technology is of the moment & whilst the latest Delkim may well be the modern wonder, there was a time when the Heron bite alarm (remember them) were the new sensation.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

i remember when we converted our herons to use bleeptones within a week of them being issued(handy my fishing mates dad worked for post office telephones) as soon as anyone heard them they came over in awe those heron buzzers were awfull and suffered with damp

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I used to have an Intepid Black Prince, alright as things went but things started looking up when I aquired first one of the then new Daiwas, it had bearings and then a Mitchell 300 which i used for everything even sea fishing.

My first decent Rod was a Edgar Sealey Contestant, which seemed brilliant at the time.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Peter Waller:

As a kid my first real reel was an Intrepid Standard.

So was mine ( actually my second to be precise). A great reel, and I still used it when I returned to fishing in approx 1993. In fact it was my second reel till about 2 years ago. Very little difference in design from modern reels IMHO.

john clarke

Vagabond:

[A few years back, just to demonstrate it can still be done, I got a primary school kid to make up the tackle below - to the same design as the one I made at nine years old.

That's really great. Does the reel rotate? It's hard to see from the pic.

john clarke