Technology gone to far?

Peter Waller

Have any of you read books by Thurlow Craig? He came along during the early 1950's. Made spinning rods out of old golf clubs, redundant foil blades and the such like. His reels might be drilled out old timber starbacks, his lures made out of ribs from a cow, old tooth brushes and tobacco tins. He caught plenty of pike, killed a lot too. But as Vagabond has pointed out, really basic stuff works. A good excercise for any angler, perhaps, is to do as Vagabond did as a kid. Could be good fun too, maybe a new slant on a Sky TV programme.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a pity we dont have a top tips section dedicated to tackle ,i for one have "improved" a pathetically made (but not cheap) beach fishing tripod and could provide before and after pics,bits on refurbishing rods or reels ,float making etc could all be kept in one section to help young and old anglers alike ,now we have digi cams photo illustrations would be a real help and save many a line of type ,its a pain having to search for a post mentioning something you may want to look up and that key word you search with finds things you dont want :(

i suppose it could be divided into fishing and non fishing there must be plenty of tips for fixing things that others could gain from ,from overhauling a tilly lamp to rewiring a 1958 prestcold fridge etc :D

[ 04. March 2005, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

but think of the people drawn to AN with search words like prestcold fridge ,Intrepid alone no doupt brings in many theres nothing else out there mentioning them :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Tony U:

I used to have an Intepid Black Prince, alright as things went but things started looking up when I aquired first one of the then new Daiwas, it had bearings and then a Mitchell 300 which i used for everything even sea fishing.

My first decent Rod was a Edgar Sealey Contestant, which seemed brilliant at the time.

My very first reel was an Intrepid Black Prince, replaced it with a Prince Regent. I've said a few times on here that sometimes I take my old cane rod and P-R out for a days' fishing. They caught me fish before and still do now, it's not what you have but how you use it....

A few years ago I bought a Mitchell 300A, and since then it has been my reel-of-choice whenever I go fishing (wanting to buy another now :) )

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

My first tackle was a Winfield combo, given as a christmas present. Strapped to the crossbar me and my mate Ivan would cycle for miles to find new fishing. The rod was white I remember and stiff as a rod of iron :) used to use far to heavy breaking strain, probably 20lb and a massive hooks with a single maggott. But used to catch and always went back for more. Memories of Sindlesham Chesters

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

I made my first ever reel.It was made from an old Sylcast spool; and its container.Wasnt very robust and was replaced a few times before my first "proper" reel was brought.An Anon Shaw Olympic.Coupled with my 11' rod made from a split cane fly rod spliced into an old coarse rod handle it caught me many different species from minnows to pike and even some sea fish!Sadly the reels handle broke.I replaced it with a Black Prince which was both cheap and crap!(sorry Chesters!!)A lot of saving saw my first Mitchell 300.

peter mccue is totally right in his post.The reason I used to collect pre 1980 ABU multipliers was because of their boy hood memories.

Chesters,I can never make my mind up wether modern anglers are interested in tackle making or not! I used to write a regular DIY feature for FishingMagic called "Tackle Workshop" was quite well recieved.Was contacted two years ago by a publisher asking if I would be able/prepared to turn the articles into a book.Whilst I was looking into the possibility of reaching the minimum content level he required he got back to me saying it was all off as his market research people had decide there wasnt a market for such a work.

On the subject of DIY tackle Ive been considering doing a "Tackle Workshop" type weekend over the close season to raise some more cash for Angling Projects.Might be fun to get together and show each other a few things,maybe I could do repairs for a donation?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I dunno, I turns me back for a second and there's that fishfinder-usin', boat-exploitin', latest-Merkin lure-lobbin' Waller comin' on 'ere an' dribblin' about how it were all better when he were a lad!

Better? Better? When Peter was a young'un, most of the fish we catch today hadn't even EVOLVED! The specimen anglers of the early Wallerian Period were after plesiosaurs, for heaven's sake!

Don't listen to 'im, folks. He's never been anything but grumpy since the earth cooled.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

The Flying Tench:

Does the reel rotate? It's hard to see from the pic.

Yep, the endplates are two pieces of plywood, held together with eight 1.5" nails to form the cage.

The handle is a bit of brass tube (in the original it was a 1" screw)

The drum rotates about a spindle driven at right angles into the rod butt.

In my original the spindle was a 2" screw and the bush around it was a piece of hollow cane - the holes for the bush in the end plates were burnt out using a red-hot poker.

Remembering how wobbly the original was, I cheated a bit in the replica, and supplied the lad who built it with a brass spindle and bush that I turned up on the lathe. Tapped the front end of the spindle to take a retaining screw. Also put a thread on the far end of the spindle (which comes out of the other side of the rod-butt) This thread takes a nut, which holds in a cork washer and a metal washer (out of sight) forming a primitive adjustable drag.

All the rest was built by "primary school technology" (or Blue Peter technology if you like) I had to teach the lad how to saw a straight line, how to drill an upright hole, how to measure, and how to knock a nail in straight, but once he could do that the rest of the job was his own work.

The rod has rings made out of safety pins bent over and cropped. The butt ring is really a line guard, as a trial run suggested it would be useful - my original did not have one, and I nearly lost my first decent fish (2lb Crucian) as a result.

A good close season project for you FT :D:D

[ 04. March 2005, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...