Fishing after a match.

kopite1

Hi.

I wanted to take my son fishing at a small commercial today but there has been a relatively busy match on all morning/early afternoon. So, is this a good or bad idea to turn up after the match? Will the fish still want to feed?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it's a brilliant idea after a match finishes all the anglers chuck there leftover bait in the margins hence that's why it's a perfect time of day to just fish your margins or just 1 rod length out all the big fish move in

tight lines

I agree with stuchef as they have the whole area pre baited , the few lakes I have visited as the match lads are packing up I am watching where they are throwing the bait in and just stalk around with a good float set up , 6lb mainline to 5lb hook link and everything is landable and I tend to take a mixture of bait too , speak to the lads that do the match and ask what they got and see what bait they where using , if corn then use artificials if maggots nothing better than two on a size 14 / 12 wide gape hook. Same with pellets. Also a good fresh loaf works brilliantly too for bringing in the big carp to the surface . Folded with loads of fluff to keep in the top layers of the water .

Edited by Adam247

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

As a match angler myself I can pretty much guarantee nearly every fishery I go to I open a tin of corn but only use a third of it at most so guaranteed lots of Corn has been thrown in the edges I agree with Adams set up just plop ur float a foot from the bank to your left or right in a peg and just drop feed pieces of corn and fish double corn hair rigged on a 14-12 hook I use quick stop hairs and have been Having great results with that tactic in the evenings you will catch anything that is there with corn

tight lines

This is a tactic I have used to good effect in the past as pleasure anglers pack up any go home.

Early evening I feed a few pegs with 1/4 pint of pellets in the margins then fish paste, bread or meat over it. Landed some very big Tench, Bream and Carp doing this.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thanks. Great advise, we used some sweet corn in the margins and a method over at the features. Had some lovely Bream and Carp and lots of Roach on maggots/casters that were in a complete frenzy! Will be keeping an eye on the Match calendar in future. Great evenings fishing.