Your Top Tip! Be part of a new feature series!

ThroughTheEye

• 2 weeks later...

Find out more about where you going to fish, Visit the venue and ask other anglers about what they have caught, what methods and baits they use. However don't interupt them when there in the midsts of playing a decent fish.

Patients and practice is key as very rearly will you catch a whopper on your first cast, every cast or is that just me!

Don't get over technical with baits and setups, Bread,Worm, Sweetcorn & maggot will catch most fish and there cheap bait as for the setup a simple float or feeder setup will catch fish.

Most of all, enjoy the session and respect the fish and surroundings.

If its too big i won't land it!

Do your research and use modern technology.

Smartphones, internets and Google maps are the most revolutionary thing to happen to fishing for years IMO. That and pellets I suppose :blink: There is such an amazing wealth of resources and information available these days that can assist the thinking angler.

If you have a new venue to investigate you can identify useful looking spots with google maps aerial photos (other map apps are probably available) and mark them up. Then you can use your smartphone's GPS to visit them on foot or pushbike for a proper look.

As you walk a new stretch and find good looking swims and features you can make notes with photos with a notes app and GPS tag the spot so you can return later with your bait/tackle etc.

Environment agency river levels, bbc weather etc are great internet tools so you'll know whether your river is rising or falling, temperature/air pressure doing likewise. You've got free advice on the internet from fellow anglers from places such as this. It all helps you to make informed decisions about how where and when before you get your time to actually fish.

When you're out fishing think about what you are doing the whole time and learn from your experience good or bad.

And don't drop your smartphone in.

theres more to fishing than catching

failure to catch is not a failure but a learning opportunity

never under estimate the inteligence or ability of fish

good basic skills are the foundation of a good angler

fishing is 50% preparation ,30% inspiration ,10% perspiration and 10% luck

never go fishing without a disgorger or forceps for unhooking

always check you have all your equipment needed twice before setting off

one last fish ,can turn into one more and then another and another....quit while your ahead .

may not look it but fishing is a dangerous sport ,beaware of your suroundings and let people know where your going and when you expect to be back.

never forget too take suficiant food and drinks ... i can recommend tea & cake .....or whatever takes your fancy .

remember fishing is a challenge so respect your opponants ,they don't do you any harm ,so do them none

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I love writers - NOT.

Start a topic, ask for help, never heard from again. Bah!!!

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

At least we've turned this thread and another thread into some fun and interesting thought for the forum. I started another fun thread based on comments found in this thread which has been equally fun.

As for writers - well, surely we knew when we saw post #! he hadn't reinvented the wheel. Hope he took something from it and comes up with an interesting bit of angling press.

Phone

I've been on this forum since late 2000. We usually have 2-4 writers a year (sometimes more) who post asking for info for an article or a research project or whatever. Many will promise they will share their end results here or post a link to their article here. From memory, zero of them have actually done so.

I'm pretty much at the point of wanting to delete the topic and the topic starter whenever I see one of these things. I'll probably do just that to the next one.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I agree, also you see exactly the same topic on every other forum. This one is on at least 2 or 3 others that I know of, maybe more. I wouldn't mind if there was any further interaction, but it's just the initial post and then nothing.

Which is why my top tip was about wiping your bum.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've been on this forum since late 2000. We usually have 2-4 writers a year (sometimes more) who post asking for info for an article or a research project or whatever. Many will promise they will share their end results here or post a link to their article here. From memory, zero of them have actually done so.

I'm pretty much at the point of wanting to delete the topic and the topic starter whenever I see one of these things. I'll probably do just that to the next one.

considered nothing more than spam here. I, like you, have never seen any of these so called "Research" things ever come back with an update which makes me think it has nothing to do with what they are actually saying it is.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk