Go Outdoor fly fishing starter kit?

jack1432

Good day all,

I am thinking of taking up fly fishing, but the gear I have is Aldi's own and I use it for carp in the summer, but I don't think its up to much as the reel is very small ( only 1.5") and the rod says 6/8 on it, which I take is the weigh of the line that should be used on the reel? there isn't much line on the real and I don't know the diameter or the weight of it,some of it floats and some of it sinks, but other than that its fine ;)

I want to have a go at Packington fly fisheries and maybe on the river Blythe at their coarse fishery. Now here's the thing, I am 'saving' my money at the moment and therefore I am on a budget. I heard the coarse fishing stuff at Go Outdoors is alright but I don't know about the fly gear.

I was thinking this rod: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/shakespeare-omni-x-7-8-9ft-6-fishing-fly-rod-p97129 As this is shakespeare my thoughts are it maybe ok.

This reel: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pure-fishing-mustang-fly-9-p146832

And I am unsure on the line because I would like a floating line and I cant seem to find one on their website.

I will get my leaders, tippets and flies from Fishtec.

Your thoughts on weather this will be a good kit for me to start on will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jack :D

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

OK - the number relates to the weight of the fly line. The bigger the number, the heavier the line, the beefier the rod you will need to cast it and the bigger the reel you will need to fit it in. Rods will often carry two numbers, especially at the cheaper end of the market. Opinions vary, but personally I would say a 6 or 7 weight outfit is for big trout on big reservoirs, 5-6 weight for small stillwater trout fisheries, 3-4 weight for river fishing for trout and grayling. 8 and 9 weight or more, I'd be thinking pike or saltwater. I would be perfectly happy targeting carp on my five or 6/7 weight rods. I don't think I'd want to go heavier unless specific conditions dictated.

You want to match the numbers. You will get some leeway, and someone who knows the tackle may say "oh, that five weight rod will cast a six weight line no problem", or "a seven weight line fits on that six weight reel easily", but unless you've got that advice to hand, match up the numbers and it should all work.

Lines are floaters or sinkers of various densities. You want a floater, usually denoted F. Lines have different tapers. You want a weight forward (WF) not a double taper (DT). I buy Snowbee XS lines, because I've found them to be consistently good, but they are not cheap. Cheaper lines can be a bit of a lottery - some of them have a lot of memory and try to do a slinky impression. The John Norris lines are OK and cheap. Google "pitsford pirate", he used to do some really good value lines.

The cheap Shakespeare fly rods are cracking value for money. Don't know what their reels are like, but fly reels are not very important. It's worth getting one with a mid or large arbour, to minimise the slinky effect.

Edited by Steve Walker

Thanks a bunch Steve that's helped me a lot. I will have a look at the lines now. :D

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

No problem! I think some people prefer an 8 weight for carp, but that seems like overkill to me, and a lighter outfit will be nicer to use and more versatile - up to you on that one really!

jack1432,

Do you have a beginning tutor? That will be far more important than the difference between a 5wt and a 7wt. It's not as easy as it looks.

Steve,

You forgot my 12wt tarpon rod.

Phone

jack1432,

Do you have a beginning tutor? That will be far more important than the difference between a 5wt and a 7wt. It's not as easy as it looks.

Steve,

You forgot my 12wt tarpon rod.

Phone

I don't. I looked into it about 2 years ago but never got round to doing it. My casting is ok, I can't cast out a very long way but I am able to do the job. The bailiff at the fishery I will go to is very helpful and I will practice my casting when fly fishing for the carp.

I just plan on asking the right questions to the right people such as this forum ;), reading books and practising while I'm on the bank.

Guest bluedun

At that price it's going to be very basic kit, which may be okay for a try out, but to be honest won't stand you in good stead. Maybe better to visit a tackle shop to see what else is available in the low price range, and get some direct advice. Otherwise you may as well stick with the Aldi stuff before you know a bit more, although that will be pretty awful kit I imagine. And one rod will not cover all those kinds of fly fishing comfortably.

jack 1432,

Very well - then I have a question for the forum. Would you say proper rod or proper line, tippit and terminal (including bait watercraft) are more important?

I feel that is what Steve W was talking about in post #2. I learned on Missouri riverbank willow (a stick) with hog rings as rod guides. Seems, if memory serves me, I did have a reel of some type, maybe it was a fishing reel - maybe not?

Phone

(btw fly fishing is the most "uppity" of all forms of sport fishing - be ready)

Edited by Phone

I think the watercraft and "matching the hatch" is one of the most important things and this is what I will need help on, I think the mayfly season is coming to an end (correct me if I am wrong). I am at the age now where I am looking for a part time job to go along side exams and collage, so maybe when the money situation is looking better I will think about a guide/tutor.