Advice on fishing in Richmond (London)

Sebbo

Steve W,

Ha ha poor Sebbo is just looking for a place to fish. Very well, the debate rages on. Perhaps it is my bias. Since there is no stretch any force imparted on the rod tip is replicated at the hook AND in the reel spool. Braid embeds (for a number of reasons) in the spool much more easily. You can't see a loose loop in a spincast reel and recover immediately. It is almost impossible to "pick" a loop out of a spool of braid.

Phone

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phone,

It's my opinion that you could leave a length of braid inside a sealed and airless room, and come back to find that it has somehow tied itself into an unpickable knot, so I know what you mean. I find it's worse at lower diameters, though, so I think 20lb braid would be less trouble than 10lb and still only about as thick as 6lb mono.

Steve W,

Ha ha poor Sebbo is just looking for a place to fish. Very well, the debate rages on. Perhaps it is my bias. Since there is no stretch any force imparted on the rod tip is replicated at the hook AND in the reel spool. Braid embeds (for a number of reasons) in the spool much more easily. You can't see a loose loop in a spincast reel and recover immediately. It is almost impossible to "pick" a loop out of a spool of braid.

Phone

We are going slightly off topic ! ha, but at least the information seems to be good, so perhaps you could recommend a reel, (as long as it would be compatible with my current rod)!

Sebbo

Sebbo the whole of the Thames is one giant Pike swim ,have a look at the Thames Anglers Conservancy Forum there are plenty of members from down that part of the river to help you out if you join ands ask Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Whew!! This is going to be a really long answer to a question you didn't really ask but is needed since the placement of rings (guides US) on the rod blank depends on the style of reel it is designed to use.

First a small bit of terminology since reel names are different on this side of the pond than on yours and we tend to intermix them a bit.

Fixed spool reel (UK) = spinning reel or open face reel (US) - the sort where the spool sits on top of the reel and a metal piece (the bail) goes around when you turn the handle to wind line onto the spool. To cast you grip the line with a finger, move the bail out the way, and cast. The spool stays still while the line goes off the top in loops. The reel hangs down (under the rod handle) when in use.

Closed face reel (UK) = no equiv in the US but is positioned on the rod the same as a fixed spool reel.

Multiplier reel (UK) = casting reel or baitcasting reel (US) - the sort where the line comes off by putting the spool into freewheel and letting it spin as line plays off. The reel sits on top of the rod handle.

Spincast (UK) = Spincast (US) - no need to describe since you are using one.

Baitcasters (basically a low profile multiplier/casting reel) are great reels but due to the fact that the reel spool will continue to spin after your bait/lure hits the water and stops, they take a bit of care and more than a bit of "educating" your thumb so you can smoothly stop the spool when the water stops your terminal tackle.

All glass fibre (fiberglass US) and carbon fibre (graphite US) have a natural "spine" or direction they want to bend due to the way they are made. If you take a rod blank, place one end on the ground and the other end in the palm of your hand and slowly roll it along the ground, you will notice there is one position where it bends more easily and smoothly. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content/rodbuilding_locating_the_spine.htm explains it a bit better with photos.

Rings are positioned on the blank based on the type of reel it is intended for. For casting reels (multipliers or spincast) the rings go on the top of the blank so the natural bend is away from the reel position. For fixed spool the rings go on the bottom of the blank. Casting and playing a fish will be lots more fun if the rings are properly placed based on the location of the spine. Otherwise, it will never really feel quite right.

Having said all of that, you should use your rod with either a spincast or a multiplier. For use with fixed spool reels you either need to remove and reposition all the rings or buy a different rod.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sebbo,

Everything Newt said.

In addition, The line guides on a baitcasting rod are aligned in a slightly descending size from butt to tip, on the top of the rod blank. The diameter of line guides for this type of rod is not as large as those used on spinning rods, because the line pays out more evenly. Generally, the number of guides is based on the length and flexibility of the rod blank, with more guides being used on rods that flex more dramatically. The OD of the first ring (butt ring) is usually about - - ohh I don't know - - - about an 8.

Phone

(how's fishing in London?)

Edit: spincast reels that fit on the top of the rod use baitcasting rods.

Edited by Phone

Phone - the link he gave points to a bog standard spincast reel mounted on a pistol grip casting rod so I am pretty sure that is what he uses. From the photo, the lower couple of guides (rings) were slightly larger than on a baitcasting rod but much smaller than a spinning rod.

Sebbo, I really hope we haven't scared you away with all of this discussion. Feel free to post again and just tell us what you really want to know. Hopefully we can keep the discussion on topic (or more on topic :D ) that way.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President