Advice on fishing in Richmond (London)

Sebbo

Sadly, that style reel will not play nice with your rod. On the brighter side, you can buy a nice fixed spool rod that will do perfectly with it.

Your original rod & reel will make for a great rig to use with light weight lures though - from around 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz. I have several very similar rigs and really enjoy using them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems the shop keeper may have duped me then! Would you suggest reels might work nicely with the original rod? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fladen-11-401-2240-Closed-Face-Fishing/dp/B006IKS9F4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370733886&sr=8-1&keywords=close+faced+reel I know this is dirt cheap, but it might be a nice back up?

Thanks!

I will put out some advice for anyone who has an interest in the rod I purchased, the guides are really not very strongly attached (I saw a review online which supported this) I had to glue one back on! Really nice and compact though!

Thanks!

It would work. It is mis-named (or misleadingly named) though and is a US style spin-cast reel rather than a UK style closed face reel.

The UK closed face reel mounts under the rod like a fixed spool reel does and has a much wider "mouth" opening. It is also designed to work with a fixed spool / spinning rod rather than the pistol grip casting rod you have.

I'm wondering if you live close enough to one of our regulars who could go over this whole thing and help you sort out what you have and what you might want/need for your fishing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Would it be ok to mount that reel on top of my rod ( the rod really doesn't feel right when held other than the pistol grip way it was designed for) or would it just not work well?

Is there a term for putting live bait / sweetcorn and the like, on spinners and lures to create a combo bait?

Thanks!

Sebbo,

No, that won't work.

Yes, you can add "stuff" to spinners and lures, but I wouldn't recommend trying that at first, they often detract from the way they are supposed to work, not enhance them.

Here's an example of a spincast combo.

13851-2212101004311565659174.jpg

Phone