Hook length storage

Sportsman

Rather than relying on iffy knots tied at the bank I have started tying up hook lengths with good knots and decent line.

I am having a problem with storing them. What do others use?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I have a wallet with plastic pockets about 4" square. I just roll them gently and store them. It works well, as \i can see immediately the hook size I need

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I use the ngt rig boards ideal for lengths 3" to 10" and have multiple rigs in groups of 10 - always have more than you need as having to make more on the bank can be difficult as you know

Edited by Adam247

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

For short hooklengths I pin them in a rig board. For longer hooklengths I loop them up and keep them in a rig wallet.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I use the prestons hooklenght boxes in small for pole, large for feeder/waggler and the method one for short method rigs.

Also use a Sensas folding wallet for winter pole hook lengths.

Carp rigs are on fox boards that cam with the fox system and a fishtec rig wallet that has plastic windows for short or supple rigs then bars and push pins for stiff or coated rigs.

I can tie hooklenghts easily on the bank BUT due to time restrictions prefer to be able to instantly change or replace them.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Sportsman,

I cuss and swear as I untangle them. (although I mostly freeline I do have a few hooklengths at my disposal)

Here's the catch. How many AN anglers think they can make a "better" hooklength at home rather than on the bank? (or any knot for that matter.)

Phone

I keep mine in small resealable plastic bags with a piece of paper cut to size on which is listed the hook (size; make/style; barbed/micro-barbed/barb pinched/barbless) and line (length; breaking strain and type (mono/hi-tech/braid); hair-rig or not). I don't bother looping the line as that just leads to tangles, I just drop the hook into the bag and shove the line in after it.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I use these - or something very like them.
A bit of thin but stiff plastic sleet (an old document cover), a pair of scissors and a stapler and you can make up little wallets that do the job perfectly.

Edit: A bit bigger and enough to set you up for life for less than a quid and delivered free.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

How many AN anglers think they can make a "better" hooklength at home rather than on the bank? (or any knot for that matter.)

Phone

I sometimes make them at home thinking it'll save me time but then when I get to the bank or wherever, I for whatever reason, distrust pre-made hooklengths and inevitably end up making a fresh one anyway, because I can test it right there and then.

I'll never be a matchman for that very reason.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...