grass over mat

Phone

Viney made a good point in the other thread. If you fish on your own it's easy to leave the mat in the sun drying out and getting pretty warm on a nice day, how many anglers remember to keep it wet when they're waiting for a bite? When they catch something they play the fish and land it in the net, where do they put the fish whilst dunking the mat?

The advice in the other thread was given in good spirit and taken in the same way, I don't feel I was being chastised......just gently encouraged.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

If you fish on your own it's easy to leave the mat in the sun drying out and getting pretty warm on a nice day, how many anglers remember to keep it wet when they're waiting for a bite? When they catch something they play the fish and land it in the net, where do they put the fish whilst dunking the mat?

That's a non-existent problem, surely ?.

When I land a fish, I don't put the net down anywhere except on the mat I've just been sitting on.

The net is plenty wet enough to thoroughly soak the mat.

I unhook the fish, remove the tackle from the net, maybe (not always) take a photo of the fish still in the net, which is still lying on top of the mat, pick the net up with the fish still in it, and return it to the water.

Unless it is a fish likely to beat my PB, I don't bother to weigh it.

Wipe the mat clean and dry, and resume sitting on it.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I hate all that stuff too. Rusty did nothing wrong - let's move on!

John's thread above is spot on and Matthew and Steve are on the mark as well.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Started to use a "mat", usually a coat laid on the ground, about 60 years ago. Mainly a carp angler and fishing gravel pits, some very newly dug, meant that very often there was nowhere safe to lay a large thrashing about fish.

As no doubt most of you know, the use of UH mats is now compulsory on most waters, and rightly so. Just because you haven't seen eye damage, doesn't mean it hasn't happened, even an eyeful of dust or grit would probably go unnoticed by the angler.

To me, it's a no brainer, once you have been made aware of the possibility of damage, then you have a duty to reduce the risks. What you think about it doesn't matter, just think of the fish.

I've never seen someone who has gone through a windscreen, but it doesn't mean I won't wear a seat belt.

Attempts to justify the non use (for large fish) are usually because the angler is just to damned lazy or ignorant to take one when fishing.

And what's all this about landing an 8lb carp on a cane rod stuff? Landed dozens and dozens on cane before glass and carbon came about. Nice fish and VERY nice photo though :)

Den

Den, I didn't say that it hasn't happened, I was just putting it perspective. I've never seen it, or know anyone who has, and I think the same will apply to the vast majority on here. I notice you didn't comment on the use of semi fixed weights/feeders on a short hook length.

I also said that I can see a use for UH mats on big fish, (if used properly), but they are often used unnecessarily on much smaller fish, when a simple unhooking in the net, spread between the legs is all that's required. I used a plastic sheet, and later a big bin bag, to lay fish on (when I thought it was needed), well before unhooking mats became the vogue. As for dust or such getting in the eye, that could happen even when using a mat, especially on a windy day. I've seen more eye damage done accidentally by hooks more than anything else, maybe we should stop using them?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I use mat purely for fishery rules; if they were not there then I find grass more than fine for the job. or I prop the wet net between my knees and unhook the fish in the net before release.

to me a more problematic issue is the way a lot of fishermen release the fish once unhooked~ I leave the fish in the net; carefully lower it back into the water then when im sure the fish is ready I flip the net around the fish and let it swim off...hardly any splashing, and you can be sure the fish is fine and healthy before release. but how often do you see fish being dumped into the margins from a foot or more, or just casually dumped back into the water?

You could get quite a few 2lb roach in that Mat, save using a keepnet. :thumbs:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

IMHO anyone not using one of these should be banned from angling for life

Looks pretty useful to me.

I want one, complete with four stretcher bearers, so that I can be carried to my swim.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

And at £270, you'd be stupid not to buy one!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."