grass over mat

Phone

Guest twofoottwitch

The subject was Grass over Mat, well really it should always be Mat over Grass, why that some think it's OK to not use them is beyond me, no amount of proclaiming that it's OK to lay fish on grass is really acceptable, of course if the grass is soft and wet then it just might be all right, but getting into good habits is more to the point.

To be called Nazi's for promoting their use is odd, especially when the majority of the Angling world support the using of them, and for some to admit they wouldn't use them if the fisheries didn't enforce the rule is just mind boggling. The professional's therefore realise their worth, why can't we?

It's not a case of civil liberties IMO more of caring for your catch, the least we can do surely?

To post up OTT examples of fish care(cradle) and use that as an example, is purile in the extreme, I have seen such a device used on larger fish such as Sturgeon and Shark , especially before tagging, if anyone wants to shell out that sort of money in the name of fish care, good luck and they should be applauded not ridiculed on here.

TFT, how do you manage to fish while riding such a high horse? You need to step down off it for a while.

Nobody has said, as far as I can see, that unhooking mats are always a bad thing, just that they are often used when not needed. It's easier, better for the fish, less handling, less time out of water, to unhook a fish in the net, whenever possible. UH mats are used far too often, when not needed. It's not because of fish welfare, it's because you, and your 'professionals' advocate it as being the 'thing' to do.

Common sense, is far better for fish welfare than all the unhooking mats, and 'professional' advice you or those with an invested interest can spout.

How do you feel about the semi fixed weight/feeder and short hook length comment I made earlier?

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've been in a boat when something very similar to this was incredibly useful. With a big, angry pike in a small boat, this kind of cradle is really useful.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest twofoottwitch

TFT, how do you manage to fish while riding such a high horse? You need to step down off it for a while.

Nobody has said, as far as I can see, that unhooking mats are always a bad thing, just that they are often used when not needed. It's easier, better for the fish, less handling, less time out of water, to unhook a fish in the net, whenever possible. UH mats are used far too often, when not needed. It's not because of fish welfare, it's because you, and your 'professionals' advocate it as being the 'thing' to do.

Common sense, is far better for fish welfare than all the unhooking mats, and 'professional' advice you or those with an invested interest can spout.

How do you feel about the semi fixed weight/feeder and short hook length comment I made earlier?

John.

I very often leave the fish in the net when unhooking over the mat, but to say UH mats are used too often, or where not needed is something I would disagree with, in this case you can't have too much of a good thing. Anyway back to my main point that as usual with some the topic was going OTT (cradle) in an attempt to ridicule what is an essential piece of kit,especially for larger fish.

Not a case of being 'professional' but just a caring angler who would want to put the fish back without added trauma of injury.

If that's me on a High Horse then so be it.

how do you manage to fish while riding such a high horse?

The trick to fishing from a high horse is to drag some lures along behind you.

The trick to fishing from a high horse is to drag some lures along behind you.

Ain't that called 'trolling' Steve? :unsure:

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I very often leave the fish in the net when unhooking over the mat, but to say UH mats are used too often, or where not needed is something I would disagree with, in this case you can't have too much of a good thing. Anyway back to my main point that as usual with some the topic was going OTT (cradle) in an attempt to ridicule what is an essential piece of kit,especially for larger fish.

Not a case of being 'professional' but just a caring angler who would want to put the fish back without added trauma of injury.

You brought up the subject of 'professionals' not me.

Like most things UH mats have their use, at the right time, and in the right way. How many times have you seen them being used on fish of 5-6lb or less, when not needed? I've seen it many times. The 'professionals' at fisheries that say they must be used at all times, are not using common sense, just following the trend.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick and tired of being preached to about 'the right way' to do things. In all my years I have tried to think, and use some common sense, in all aspects of my angling. While always willing to listen to other ideas, I will be the one who decides my actions, based on my experience, weighed against the experience of others, and (that word again), some common sense.

I'll ask again, what's your view on possible damage caused by using the rig I've described?

John.

Oh, and I took Mats post on UH cradles, as an attempt at bringing some humour to the thread. Maybe he'll enlighten us when he comes back on.

Edited by gozzer

Looks ideal for butchering a nice large carp ready to throw on the barbie bankside :-)

If you care so much and want to avoid "added trauma of injury" try leaving off the hook. THE number one guaranteed cause of injury to fish, and you do it deliberately!

Every angler has an absolute right to make up their own mind as to when / if to use an unhooking mat. If it is a fishery rule then you have to decide whether that water gets your custom.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

I used to fish a stretch of the river Wey in Surrey, usually roving around for chub. I knew the baliff quite well, and after a while he said he had been told to properly enforce the blanket club rule of always carrying an unhooking mat. He said it was his job to enforce it and that I should carry one at all times or he'd have to take action, but that I didn't have to actually use it - as long as he saw I had one, the rule had been followed :rolleyes:

So I used to carry one around with me and show him I had one, even though in the particular circumstances of the venue and type of fishing I was doing, it was superflous to requirements. (Most of the club waters were carp-focused stillwaters.)

Edited by Anderoo
  • Like 2

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I used to fish a stretch of the river Wey in Surrey, usually roving around for chub. I knew the baliff quite well, and after a while he said he had been told to properly enforce the blanket club rule of always carrying an unhooking mat. He said it was his job to enforce it and that I should carry one at all times or he'd have to take action, but that I didn't have to actually use it - as long as he saw I had one, the rule had been followed :rolleyes:

So I used to carry one around with me and show him I had one, even though in the particular circumstances of the venue and type of fishing I was doing, it was superflous to requirements. (Most of the club waters were carp-focused stillwaters.)

That reminds me of a post I made on this subject a couple of years ago Andrew.

I was stood on a bridge, watching a young lad fishing on the R Wharfe. He had to stand in the water to fish because of a high banking behind him. He was trotting and catching chub in the 2-3lb range, regularly. Each time he landed a fish, he clambered up the bank to unhook it. From my position, I couldn't see why, so I had a walk down to him. He was laying the wet net onto an unhooking mat to unhook each fish. When I asked him why, he said this was how he'd been taught, and it was a rule on the club waters he fished. (this wasn't a club water). I showed him how to do it in the net while still in the water, and he said that he'd thought of that, but had been told to always use a mat. I told him that whoever said that was wrong, and he should judge for himself. By taking into consideration the size of fish, the situation he was in, weighing up the quickest and easiest way, and then using that to make his decision. I hope he still does that, and hasn't been 'brainwashed' by the 'right, and only way' brigade.

John.

• Like 1